Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Small algae eater needed :) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/small-algae-eater-needed-86335/)

Limeylemon 11-20-2011 04:16 AM

Small algae eater needed :)

Hi I need to find a small growing algae eater. I love the cleaning power of plecos, and have one in my large tank keeping it spotless. But I need one for my tiny 15g. I have read about hillstream loaches but cant get hold of one.
Any catfish types? Any ideas?
It is just the typical brown algae, all over the front, back ornaments, filter, gravel, looks very unatractive and cannot all be cleaned with an algae scraper.

ginagv 11-20-2011 12:17 PM

How about a small group of otocinclus ? They are small, but don't do well alone, so you need a small group.

-Gina

Byron 11-20-2011 01:15 PM

Most "algae-eating" fish will deal with diatoms (so-called brown algae). Otos were mentioned, a group of 3 minimum is recommended as they are a social fish much like corys. Another option if your water is soft and acidic is the Twig Catfish; it attains 5 inches but is so slender that it is suited to smaller tanks, and it is not a swimmer so space is not significant; it just slowly moves from plant leaf to plant leaf, wood, rock, glass, substrate--cleaning off common green algae and diatoms. Another similar option for acidic to slightly basic water is the Whiptail Catfish. The common species and the newer "red lizard whiptail" are both suitable in a smallish tank. The Bristlenose Pleco is another, though this fish has much more of an impact on the bioload than the afore-mentioned species and I would not confine it in a 15g.

Have you looked into the cause for the diatoms? Normally this is only seen in newer tanks and once the biology has become established doesn't appear again unless there are silicates in the source water.

Byron.

MinaMinaMina 11-20-2011 02:29 PM

Or a Nerite snail! I've had great success with mine keeping my small tank spotless. Its freshwater and I have only one, so no chance of breeding. Good stuff!

Limeylemon 11-20-2011 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 898295)
Have you looked into the cause for the diatoms? Normally this is only seen in newer tanks and once the biology has become established doesn't appear again unless there are silicates in the source water.

Byron.

This tank has been setup for as long as I can remember, It is not in direct sunlight at all. My thoughts are possibly the light. I'm not 100% as it is built in but I think it has UV. Tried a thick bush of riccia on the surface but it hasn't helped. Currently only houses 2 african dwarf frogs.

Byron 11-20-2011 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Limeylemon (Post 898439)
This tank has been setup for as long as I can remember, It is not in direct sunlight at all. My thoughts are possibly the light. I'm not 100% as it is built in but I think it has UV. Tried a thick bush of riccia on the surface but it hasn't helped. Currently only houses 2 african dwarf frogs.

Low light is also said to be a contributor to diatoms.

Limeylemon 11-20-2011 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 898449)
Low light is also said to be a contributor to diatoms.

This is the only tank that I have ever known to have algae issues. (Other than a friends with hair algae outbreaks) So small sucker would be nice.
The algae isn't causing any issues, it just grows and covers everything so fast it looks extremely filthy and ugly!