Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   help sick barb and catfish red spots (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/help-sick-barb-catfish-red-spots-86145/)

elby81 11-17-2011 10:58 AM

help sick barb and catfish red spots

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 42007

Attachment 42009[attach]Attachment 42007

please help! I fist noticed the barbs fins becoming redder but, just thought this was normal ( they are called red tailed barbs) but then noticed red areas on skin mainly at base of fin which at first seemed like a blister it was raised but then became flat as if under the surface of the skin after i dosed the tank with tetracycline. pretty much same thing with the cat fish he was looking like Rudolf with a large red raised sore on his nose( or where a nose would be if they had one) pre-treatment and now the blister has popped and is now a dull pink wound as in the pic. both are acting normal swim and eat no change in behavior. but other fish in tank seem to be attracted to the redness on the barb because they nibble at it.
i really don't know much about fish and how to care for them but i am really trying to learn. i have become attached to them and want to save them!
tank info:
60-70gal
78-80 temp
i use a dip test strip for the following:
ph-6.0 i know this is not good it use to be at 7.0 but past two months or so it has dropped i started using a store bought chemical to raise it slowly but not sure if i'm doing that right still low and I'm scared to add to much of it at a time.
nitrate-0-20
nitrite-0
general hardness-120-180
carbonate 80-120
no live plants
community tank total of 12 fish only two with red areas/spots/blister? however i do think maybe they are showing signs of fin rot not sure but tails are looking frayed.
treatment- tetracycline x4 doses with a 25% water change after 2nd and 4th dose. now adding melafix once a day for 7 days (on day 4)

mileshs95 11-17-2011 01:02 PM

if there are red spots it is most likely a fungal infection. pimafix treats only bacterial. i would suggest a combination of melafix and pimafix once a day for 7 days, then do a 25% water change. during the treatment take the carbon out of your filter if possible and if you can i would put them in a separate tank.

elby81 11-17-2011 04:07 PM

ok i will do that. Do you know why the carbon should be removed? on one of the treatments it said the same thing "remove if possible but not necessary" also any idea on how long it will take to see improvement of the redness and or the fins growth?

elby81 11-17-2011 04:12 PM

close up of barbs fin

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 42028
another pic of barb's damaged fin with the red area at base and spreads down the fin. kinda blurry but realy want people to get a good idea of the problem

mileshs95 11-17-2011 04:58 PM

continue the treatment for 7 days or longer if necessary.