Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Lighting (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/lighting-86126/)

Maxillius 11-16-2011 10:47 PM

Lighting

Hi I have a 26 G bow front 24 inch x21 x 13 its kinda deep for a 26 g and i got plants in there who are haveing problems so im gona switch lighting soon and was wondering if this was gona be enough for my aquarium
and if not then if somebody would have another suggestion for me!
here it is
Nova Extreme T5 X2 Freshwater Aquarium Lighting Fixture, 2X24 Watt, 24 inch
The Current USA Nova Extreme T5 is for freshwater planted aquariums.

Features:
One 24 watt Tru Lumen 12K and one 24 watt Tru Lumen Flora Freshwater T5 HO fluorescent lamp
Dimensions: 24" x 5.5" x 2"
48 watts
Individually contoured reflectors
Plastic mounting legs
Performance driven electronic ballast. No independent control over 10K and freshwater lamps.

ps. I had a aqua glo 15 watt 18 inch and changed to a 18 inch t8 flora-glo 15 watt and my plants seems to be recovering but ... not the way I would really like it. It has only been 2 days since i got the new lamp so Maybe I should wait...
oh and here is a link of it for pictures i think the legs look flimsy myself what do you guys think?
Current USA Nova Extreme T5 X2 Freshwater Aquarium Lighting Fixture, 2X24 Watt, 24 inch

zof 11-17-2011 12:00 AM

What plants are we talking about here and what are you dosing with for nutrients. Only one of the two bulbs is really providing the light the plants need but should be fine since we are talking about t-5s here.

Maxillius 11-17-2011 12:52 PM

I use recommended doses of florish once a week and one co2 tablet per day.

Byron 11-17-2011 01:19 PM

Unless you want high-light plants and use more nutrients, I would not go with two tubes in T5 HO. One tube will be sufficient. Some fixtures will allow only one tube to be on, some (=most) won't. A single 24-inch T5 HO tube in a full spectrum would be more than sufficient.

However, your present light may still be adequate with a different tube. Unfortunately, Aqua-Glo and Flora-Glo tubes are not good light with respect to intensity. Both are about half the intensity of the Life-Glo 2 in that same series. You might first want to try a Life-Glo tube before spending money on a T5 fixture. T8 tubes are less expensive. I use Life-Glo on my single tube tanks. The Power-Glo is a bit more intense light; my only objection to this is the purplish hue, but if you don't mind the Aqua-Glo and Flora-Glo, which are similar, Power-Glo is another option for more intense light with the existing fixture.

Maxillius 11-17-2011 01:50 PM

thx again byron! hmm but they dont seem to sell the life-glo 2 around where I live only life-glo
and flora glo had more lux then life-glo so i went with flora-glo should I switch again for a life-glo?
as for plants I have
Dwarf Anubias
Dwarf Bacopa
one kind of Ludwigia not sure which one
another one that looks totally just like grass ... cant find the good one
and another one i cannot find the kind... leaves come from one single point just like ... a boston letuce?
but leaves are difrent kind of like lager grass and its leaves are spreading around in a ball shape
I had Anacharis, Elodea it died :( it was doing roots all along it stem and rotting at the bottom

Maxillius 11-17-2011 02:09 PM

Oh and my Ludwigia had roots growing all over it except like 3-4 inch to the top
and its more then half my tank tall
its kinda growing like when a plant need light it grows fast with not alot of leaves and they are kinda brown looking little bit less since i got the flora-glo tho

Byron 11-17-2011 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxillius (Post 895719)
thx again byron! hmm but they dont seem to sell the life-glo 2 around where I live only life-glo
and flora glo had more lux then life-glo so i went with flora-glo should I switch again for a life-glo?
as for plants I have
Dwarf Anubias
Dwarf Bacopa
one kind of Ludwigia not sure which one
another one that looks totally just like grass ... cant find the good one
and another one i cannot find the kind... leaves come from one single point just like ... a boston letuce?
but leaves are difrent kind of like lager grass and its leaves are spreading around in a ball shape
I had Anacharis, Elodea it died :( it was doing roots all along it stem and rotting at the bottom

If memory serves me correctly, the Life-Glo is a tad more bright than the Life-Glo 2. But over the tank I cannot see a difference, and I have both in 48-inch.

I just spent several minutes trying to find data on the Flora-Glo and all I could come up with is the colour temp which is 2800K, and the lumens of Life-Glo are higher than Flora-Glo. Life-Glo is 6700K which in my view is better light both for plants and true colour rendition. Aside from that, I did find comments on some of my plant sites from others recommending Life-Glo over Flora-Glo for planted tanks as "better." May be subjective, without the data one can't tell. But I think the Life-Glo would be a better choice, if you can exchange them.

Your stem plants need as much light as you can give them. I'll need a photo to ID that plant.

Maxillius 11-17-2011 05:03 PM

I took A bunch of pictures *black ruby barbs has a gift for passing infront of the lens when i take pictures -_- hehe*
I was trying to take them off the camera but i got no wire for now i will have to go get one and then il be able to post hehe I hope tomorrow! thx you again

Byron 11-17-2011 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxillius (Post 895858)
I took A bunch of pictures *black ruby barbs has a gift for passing infront of the lens when i take pictures -_- hehe*
I was trying to take them off the camera but i got no wire for now i will have to go get one and then il be able to post hehe I hope tomorrow! thx you again

The Black Ruby are active, aren't they. I have 8 in my 90g and I got them two weeks ago so they are still fairly small. A couple pairs were spawning yesterday. A very beautiful barb.

Maxillius 11-17-2011 11:37 PM

yes indeed black ruby barbs are nice and active I cannot believe at the speed they spin around some times and the way they just let them self glide in the water sideways before they do it
its just like the top one is inciting the other to play by falling onto him, mine are a little bit bigger then 2 inch already dark black at the end and red nozes even tho there isent one female in the tank :( sadly but i guess its like gorillas :P you can have alot of males as long as you dont have a female in the group hehe
still working on the photo cant get them out of the card o_O i have to buy the wire looks like ... hehe