Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Swordtail facts? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/swordtail-facts-86055/)

krish 11-15-2011 08:58 PM

Swordtail facts?

Hi I am thinking of putting swordtails in my tank instead of platys. How many is the minimum amount of swordtails necessary for them to be happy? (my tank description is in my signature) I don't want any babies, cuz then I'll have to take care of them, so preferably I'd like to have all males. If this is not possible in my tank size, how many females minimum should I have to a male, and do I have to take care of the babies, or can I just let the other fish eat them (cruel I kno but I just don't have the space :-()? Please help!

1077 11-16-2011 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krish (Post 894581)
Hi I am thinking of putting swordtails in my tank instead of platys. How many is the minimum amount of swordtails necessary for them to be happy? (my tank description is in my signature) I don't want any babies, cuz then I'll have to take care of them, so preferably I'd like to have all males. If this is not possible in my tank size, how many females minimum should I have to a male, and do I have to take care of the babies, or can I just let the other fish eat them (cruel I kno but I just don't have the space :-()? Please help!

Have you taken a look at fish profiles here? some good information to be found.
For 29 gal. One male and three or four females would be bout right.IMHO
In larger tank's, you could place more males but male to female ratio is same.
Male swordtail's are aggressive with other males ,especially when wanting to breed and one male usually comes out the winner, while subdominant males are often chased,nipped at, and possibly injured.
Fish prefer cool water with some movement and are largely herbivores with occasional meaty foods.

krish 11-16-2011 11:43 AM

thanks..but I still have a few questions. Can I fit the 3 female and 1 male swordtails in my 29 gal tank with all the other fishes, or will it be too crowded? Also, what do I do with the fry in my tank if they breed? I don't want more fish, but I find it rather cruel to just let them die. :-(

krish 11-25-2011 11:39 AM

anyone?? :-(

Pisces47 11-25-2011 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krish (Post 902399)
anyone?? :-(

Okay, I'll bite.
I think you could safely put 3 swords in your tank, 2 females and 1 male, but try to get juveniles and allow them to grow and become used to the other inhabitants.
As for any fry that may come along, don't worry about it, you will only ever see the survivors and therefore will never know if there were any others. As for being "cruel", it's just a word and has absolutely no relevance in the animal world.
Just had a bit of a laugh when I read your profile............boomerang throwing, good for you, perhaps you could come and teach me!

krish 11-25-2011 03:52 PM

sure :-D