Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Algae (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/algae-8599/)

Jmoney 10-02-2007 04:57 PM

Algae

I have a 45G with a few plants and a 96W 10K PC lighting. I do water changes biweekly of 20%. all my levels are fine, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, and nitrate 25. I dose with one capful of Flourish excel daily and the light is on a timer currently set at 12 hours a day with led moonlighting throughout the night. my substrate with about 1" of eco complete on bottom and 1"-2" of medium sized gravel on top.

I have algae that consistently grows on my slate rocks and the leaves of my plants. I recently bought a couple of algae eaters, but they mainly stay on the side walls and don't clean the algae of the rocks. I thought about leaving the lights on for less time, but I am afraid that will hurt my plants which already aren't doing that great.

what should i do to stop the algae from growing and how can i make my plants grow better.

Daz 10-02-2007 05:05 PM

Hello, is the tank positioned in a direct light source ?

Jmoney 10-02-2007 05:12 PM

No, the tank is no where close to a window. It receives virtually no lighting other than the aquarium lights.

Falina 10-02-2007 05:31 PM

I have only ever used low light plants so this is just a thought, rather than a recommendation. You could perhaps increase the lighting in order for the plants to do better. What plants do you have? Some need more light than others. To counteract this extra lighting you could use CO2 which would stop the algae from growing but other members will have to help you out on the CO2 as I am pretty clueless on it.

HTH

JouteiMike 10-02-2007 07:04 PM

12 hours a day is a bit too long.

Excessive algae basically occurs with a few factors; an over-stocked aquarium, feeding too frequently and too much (too many nutrients which algae feed off of), too much light, and lack of maintenance.

What do you have in the tank?
How often do you feed your fish?
How often do you perform water changes?

You can't really completely stop the growth of algae, only control it.

Jmoney 10-02-2007 07:24 PM

i have:

7 tiger barbs (2 are albino)
3 red eye tetras
3 dwarf puffers
4 upside down catfish
2 malayan angelfish
2 denison barbs
2 algae eaters/sucker fish

is this too much? I have them in a 45-50G tank with a 10G sump filled with foam filters, bioballs and ceramic rings and a HOB filter hooked up to the sump.

i feed them twice a day for 3 min each time, flakes in the morning and flakes and varied frozen food (Brine shrimp, bloodworms, greenstuff) in the evening.

i do water changes every two weeks about 20-25%

JouteiMike 10-02-2007 07:33 PM

How long has the tank been set up? It's hard to tell if that is too much...if it is a new tank and I would say it is overstocked, but if it has a mature bio-filtration I'd say it's fine, but still pushing it a little.

2 times a day for 3 minutes each is too much is my opinion...

I would cut it down to once a day, maybe alternating the different types of food. Or just try cutting down the amount you feed them...like give them as much as they can eat in only 1 or 2 minutes.

Also a good thing to do is skip a day each week from feeding them. This will give them a chance to fully clear their digestive systems. Also feeding them deshelled cooked/thawed peas once in a while is good for their digestive system as well.

Judging by the amount of fish you have, I suggest you do water changes more often, weekly instead of every two weeks. Just my two cents though.

gus6464 10-02-2007 10:09 PM

What kind of algae eater do you have? I was having excessive algae growing on my tank on the walls, driftwood, plants, and even decorations. I bought a Bristlenose Pleco and he left the tank spotless after a couple of days. He even took care of the algae on the decoration and even the brown algae on my java fern.

willow 10-03-2007 03:43 AM

hi
probably not correct however..............
12 hours light,and lights through the night,i didn't think
this was needed.????
feeding the fish that much,a bit too much JMHO,
and feeding the plants this much
i didn't think they needed it. ?
i'm just wondering if it's a little bit too much stuff
going in,that is effecting the plants,although your
water stats are ok.
please don't take offence,and i'm sorry if any of this is wrong.

JouteiMike 10-03-2007 04:57 AM

Excellent points, Willow.

I forgot to incorporate that the amount you are feeding your plants does seem to be too much. Especially since you stated that have you only have a "few" plants. Your dosage would be for a moderately-heavy planted tank I believe.