Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   40G lighting question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/40g-lighting-question-85984/)

mrhay11 11-14-2011 09:12 PM

40G lighting question

Hey all!! Im new to this forum but have heard it's one of the best on the web. First off I would like to say that I am not a newbie to the aquarium community nor am I an expert. Any who, I have a question about my new 40 G. tank.... the dimensions are 36"x18"x16". Let me preface this by stating this will be a FISH ONLY tank. No live plants what-so-ever. I alread have a 20 gallon heavily planted tank with DIY CO2 and fert dosing and just want something easier for my fiance and I to enjoy in our new place. I will be running a Rena XP4 with Tahitian moon sand, natural rock formations and caves made of slate/bed rock (and a few fake plants for color and to appease the fiance), lastly it will be stocked with:

3 panda cories
4 peppered cories
1 rubberlip pleco
5 amano shrimp
5 black neons
1 regular neon (adopted from my brother, soon to be a school of 5)
2 siamese flying foxes
2 otos
2 MTS (malaysian trumpet snails)

I am interested in getting an LED fixture for this tank but have some questions/concerns:

1. I am looking into a 600 lumen fixture its actually the Marineland Double bright LED fixture 24"-36"

and want to know if this is too much light for my tank. IE. will it cause algae problems... I know algae will grow if I do not care for the tank which i do on a regular basis but my job has me leaving my tank for 24-48 hours at a time. It will be on a timer that runs for 6 hours a day. I am only asking because I have no experience with LED fixtures (my current tank runs a hagen GLO T5 HO 2x24w).

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

P.s. I am looking into that fixture because that is what my LFS has as far as freshwater LED. And I do very much like the 3 lighting options, daylight/lunar/off.

Thanks!!

zof 11-14-2011 11:40 PM

600 lumen is not a great deal of light I would image you could get away with 8 maybe even 10 hours with out alot of algae growth, remember a little algae is fine. Now lets compare that to your current tank 2x24w T5 high output bulbs, I believe these bulbs will average about 1800 lumens each so that means you have 3600 lumens over that tank, so the LED fixture will put out about a sixth of what you currently have over your 20.

Also remember just because it has a lunar function doesn't mean it should be on all night, fish need sleep too, although if you have a pair (not with your stocking anyways) guarding some eggs it might be just enough to help them through out the night.

mrhay11 11-15-2011 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zof (Post 893854)
600 lumen is not a great deal of light I would image you could get away with 8 maybe even 10 hours with out alot of algae growth, remember a little algae is fine. Now lets compare that to your current tank 2x24w T5 high output bulbs, I believe these bulbs will average about 1800 lumens each so that means you have 3600 lumens over that tank, so the LED fixture will put out about a sixth of what you currently have over your 20.

Also remember just because it has a lunar function doesn't mean it should be on all night, fish need sleep too, although if you have a pair (not with your stocking anyways) guarding some eggs it might be just enough to help them through out the night.

Posted via Mobile Device

mrhay11 11-15-2011 12:09 AM

Thank you for your reply and for answering my question. I do know that some algae is a good thing and am not afraid of a little algae. I just want to prevent huge algae blooms.

And in response to the lunar function, yes I will not be having it on all night, I just like the look of the lunar lighting and it may stimulate some of the inhabitants to come out more frequently.
Posted via Mobile Device