Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   oscar - sand or gravel (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/oscar-sand-gravel-8598/)

vinoth1465 10-02-2007 03:31 PM

oscar - sand or gravel

ok, i am in the process of setting up a 40 G in my house and was browsing thru petsmart website and my boss caught me...

i told him what i was doing and he said i can have one here in the office as well... excited :lol: he used to hobby fish when he was a kid... he said he will pay for it... go figure!

anyways, there is empty desk that can fit a 55 G tank... so i am going for that. he used to have an oscar, and wants one now... so, thats what i am getting. just one... i am using emperor filter 400 for it...

for oscars in general... should i go with sand or gravel...

i know they dig a lot, so just wanted expert opinion.

scottysgirl 10-02-2007 03:42 PM

Oscars are great, GREAT fish, but require A LOT of care. With my Oscar in a 55 gallon tank (minimum recommended size) I have to do 2 weekly 30-50 percent water changes to keep nitrates low (just so you know what you are getting into :wink: ). The trouble with sand is that it can get anaerobic pockets in it (not good) so it needs to be stirred every so often to aerate it. I have gravel with my Oscar, and he digs, picks it up and spits it against the sides of the tank all the time. I just made sure the gravel was really smooth with no sharp edges for him to hurt himself on. If I were you, I would go with smooth, small gravel
Good luck! :D

Punchbuggy 10-07-2007 11:48 PM

Sand could work, but oscars like to dig so if you use sand use a heavy kind that wont get sucked into the filter if he sprays some up.

fish_4_all 10-08-2007 12:27 PM

I would say go with the gravel. Some nice natural colored river run gravel would be perfect and the Oscar can play with it all it wants without much worry.

Do you have a feeding schedule planned? Live food is fun to watch them eat but a good pellet diet is much better for them and also keps your Oscar from getting some of the nasties that can come from LFS live food, especially feeder comets and guppies. Crayfish, shrimp, night crawlers and other foods are also good alternatives to live fish as food.

Just make sure to cycle the tank first. :D

vinoth1465 10-11-2007 05:23 PM

thanks guys... i am picking up the tank today... definelty going with gravel...

i am going to fill up the tank with water tonight, declorinate and have the filter running...

probably monday when i come, i will go to the LFS in the morning and bring a few fish for cyclying...

not a big fan of live food (feeder fish) but just to vary the diet may get him a few once a week... definelty going to quarantine, treat them and then feed them to the oscar.

whats the best fish i can use for cycling a 55 gallon, as well as if alive, live with the oscar...

Lupin 10-11-2007 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinoth1465
whats the best fish i can use for cycling a 55 gallon, as well as if alive, live with the oscar...

Danios and platies are considered hardy enough to withstand the horrible conditions of a cycling tank, however, they must be moved in another tank once you're done as the oscar may simply eat them afterwards.

Falina 10-11-2007 05:31 PM

Have you considered a fishless cycle? There is a great sticky on this at the top of Starting and Maintaining a FW Aquarium which you could read through.

I am a fan of the fishless cycle as it's not cruel towards the fish you sue for cycling but also, the bioload that the tank supports with the cycling fish will remain when you add more fish so you still have to be careful with params when you add new fish as the bioload increases.

vinoth1465 10-11-2007 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Falina
Have you considered a fishless cycle? There is a great sticky on this at the top of Starting and Maintaining a FW Aquarium which you could read through.

I am a fan of the fishless cycle as it's not cruel towards the fish you sue for cycling but also, the bioload that the tank supports with the cycling fish will remain when you add more fish so you still have to be careful with params when you add new fish as the bioload increases.

i actually read that sticky earlier and was thinking about it... when i setup the tank, i am going to give it a try... check the params and see how it goes...

will keep you posted.

vinoth1465 10-11-2007 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin
Quote:

Originally Posted by vinoth1465

Danios and platies are considered hardy enough to withstand the horrible conditions of a cycling tank, however, they must be moved in another tank once you're done as the oscar may simply eat them afterwards.

thanks lupin... i am going to take falina's advise and see how fishless cycle works.