Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Freeze dried food- bad? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/freeze-dried-food-bad-85932/)

Srkdvmmom 11-14-2011 10:36 AM

Freeze dried food- bad?

I have been feeding Freeze Dried bloodworms to my fish for some time. There was never any problem (luckily) since I only recently realized they should be soaked first. I have been soaking them in Nourish a few times per week.
Over this weekend my two angel fish fell ill and died. In trying to chat with my local fish store, one of the managers told me that they won't stock freeze dried foods. She said that those foods are poor quality bits which is why they are freeze dried rather than frozen. Also said they can harbor many pathogens/contaminants.
Just read my bottle of freeze dried bloodworms and found it was a product of China (San Francisco Bay brand). Does this make a difference?

<Never did figure out why my Angels died.>

Calmwaters 11-14-2011 10:48 AM

From what I understand the frezze dry process removes the nutrients from the food which is why it is bad. I am not sure what the nourish stuff is that you are talking about.

Srkdvmmom 11-14-2011 10:53 AM

Nourish is a Seachem product, vitamin and amino acid supplement with iodide.

Calmwaters 11-14-2011 11:32 AM

Oh ok I honestly belive if you feed a good flake food alternated with a good frozen or live food your fish will be fine with out the nourish. Has any thing else changed other than the soaking of the food in the Nourish?

redchigh 11-14-2011 11:34 AM

I use freeze-dried food often, without soaking. No problems.

I bet your store doesn't sell freeze dried because it's cheap... Why bother making a couple dollars when you can sell the much more expensive frozen?

dramaqueen 11-14-2011 12:10 PM

Freeze dried foods are meant to be a treat and not a staple food.

Byron 11-14-2011 01:11 PM

Yes, I would use them as "treats" too. I rarely use them, I do have a can of FD bloodworms which the hatchetfish love, but must confess that I rarely feed this, can't remember when I last did.:roll:

It was on this forum that I learned about soaking the FD first; apparently the food expands inside the fish otherwise, and this is not so good. I won't say this killed the angelfish, but...?

There is nothing wrong with a regular diet of good quality flake/pellet foods (and sinking foods for substrate fish). A variety of types from good manufacturers (Omega One, Hikari, New Nutrition [if this is the correct name, another member mentioned it]) will provide the nutritional needs. Jack Wattley even writes that for discus this is all you need.

Byron.

Mikaila31 11-14-2011 01:53 PM

Freeze dried actually has more of the nutrients retained then frozen foods do. Most my fish won't touch the stuff though lol. All frozen, freeze-dried, and live foods should be fed occasionally, not regularly unless you are conditioning short term. There are a few exceptions like if the fish will eat nothing else. I agree with byron that a dry prepared food is the best as a staple. My fish eat the same food everyday except once a week where they get a single feeding of frozen bloodworms. A number of them spawn very regularly.

I think New life spectrum was the other food you were thinking about. I also would like to put ken's fish food up there as a good food. Its what a lot of my fish eat.

dramaqueen 11-14-2011 03:02 PM

New Life Spectrum is supposed to be a good quality food. I feed my bettas NLS betta formula.

Calmwaters 11-14-2011 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikaila31 (Post 893244)
Freeze dried actually has more of the nutrients retained then frozen foods do.

Well I didn't know that, I read some were before that the freeze dried was bad but I had never read that about the frozen foods.