Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Are my zebras sick? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/my-zebras-sick-85834/)

Talidara 11-12-2011 03:40 PM

Are my zebras sick?

3 Attachment(s)
Hey I'm new here :)
I've got a +/- 26 (?) gallon tank (100 litre) with 6 Zebra Danio's, 5 guppies and about 15 shrimps (hard to count, they keep hiding). I'm kind of a noob, so I'm not sure if its normal, but at first my zebra's were very lively. swimming al over the place and almost impossible to count. some time ago, 2 zebra's died, probably of old age, I got them from a friend, and she told me they were about 4 years old. Now I have six left. Lately some of them started behaving, i don't know, lazy? Just hanging around, not on the bottom or something, but not doing much either. I noticed that they have slightly bent spines, atleast if I compare them to the others. Also their bellies look strange, I made some pictures:

Attachment 41732

Attachment 41733

Attachment 41734

does anyone know if they are sick, and if so, what I should do? The rest of my fish seem to be doing fine.

:thankyou:

GwenInNM 11-13-2011 08:24 AM

Hey I'm new here :)
I've got a +/- 26 (?) gallon tank (100 litre) with 6 Zebra Danio's, 5 guppies and about 15 shrimps (hard to count, they keep hiding). I'm kind of a noob, so I'm not sure if its normal, but at first my zebra's were very lively. swimming al over the place and almost impossible to count. some time ago, 2 zebra's died, probably of old age, I got them from a friend, and she told me they were about 4 years old. Now I have six left. Lately some of them started behaving, i don't know, lazy? Just hanging around, not on the bottom or something, but not doing much either. I noticed that they have slightly bent spines, atleast if I compare them to the others. Also their bellies look strange, I made some pictures:

Read more: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/c...#ixzz1day8YU00

I would guess there is something wrong. Do you know what your water parameters are? I'm hoping your tank is cycled. If not, that could be the problem, if you have ammonia present etc.

Clean water will make the difference. Also you should be using some water conditioner to remove chlorine, if you have that in the water in the Netherlands :)

Best of luck. Hope you don't lose anymore

Gwen

Talidara 11-13-2011 11:58 AM

I checked my parameters (that's the ph and such isn't it?):
NO3: 15
NO2: 0
GH: 16
KH: 10
PH: 7.6
Cl2: +/- 0.4
I use test strips, but I hear they aren't very accurate? They don't sell anything else where I live though :(

also, my aquarium is about 3 months old, it should be cycled by now I think?

GwenInNM 11-13-2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talidara (Post 892370)
I checked my parameters (that's the ph and such isn't it?):
NO3: 15
NO2: 0
GH: 16
KH: 10
PH: 7.6
Cl2: +/- 0.4
I use test strips, but I hear they aren't very accurate? They don't sell anything else where I live though :(

also, my aquarium is about 3 months old, it should be cycled by now I think?

I don't know what all your numbers are. I understand your general hardness and Carbonate hardness, but is NO3 nitrates? 15 would be fine. Is NO2 Ammonia? You should have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. After 3 months your tank should be cycled. What is your temperature? I don't know what else to tell you, but if your fish are behaving differently, than there is something wrong, most likely.

krish 11-13-2011 07:47 PM

Ok i have zebra danios and the same thing happened. theyre just overfed. This explains their bloated bellies, and when they're completely full, they just sit around (kind of like me after a big lunch :mrgreen:). What you need to do is reduce the feeding. If you are feeding correctly,then this means your danios are eating way faster than all the other fish and hogging all the food, mine do the same. What you can do is, put a divider between your danios and the other fish and feed separately or just put food only when your guppies and other fish can eat them. Dont worry, though, my danios are really naughty, greedy little hoggies :tease:

Talidara 11-14-2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GwenInNM (Post 892446)

I don't know what all your numbers are. I understand your general hardness and Carbonate hardness, but is NO3 nitrates? 15 would be fine. Is NO2 Ammonia? You should have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. After 3 months your tank should be cycled. What is your temperature? I don't know what else to tell you, but if your fish are behaving differently, than there is something wrong, most likely.

NO3 is nitrate
no2 is Nitrogen dioxide (or something)

my temperature is 22 *C

could it be tuberculosis? I heard about that, but I'm not sure what it does :-?

jackiemarie 01-17-2012 05:51 PM

i have the same problem. my glo danio has been like this for over a year and it is doing fine and eats well. i had the water checked and everything is good. i just dont get it. im thinking maybe old age? mine is around 3-4 years old now.what do you guys think?