Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Lighting (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/lighting-85824/)

Maxillius 11-12-2011 02:25 PM

Lighting

Hi! i have a aqua glow t8 18 inch 15 watt light on a bow front 26 g freshwater aquarium
I have one stem plant who's having a lot of trouble leaves are kinda brown , I do add some co2 tablet each day it seem to be somewhat recovering but i was wondering if my lighting was enough and if its possible to get higher watts tube as an 18 inch or it is really only the longer they are the higher wattage they can get?
Thx you in advance :-)

Byron 11-12-2011 07:12 PM

Light is probably too little (in intensity). You don't mention the species, but stem plants generally require higher light than some other plants because they are fast growers, and thus need more nutrients and light to photosynthesize.

A disadvantage of the Aqua-Glo tube is that it is very weak light. It is half the intensity of the Life-Glo 2 in the same series, and the Power-Glo is more intense than either. If you don't mind the purplish hue (which your Aqua-Glo gives), the Power-Glo would be similar but with considerably more intensity. I prefer the Life-Glo, as it provides a true rendition of fish and plant colours, along with good light for plants.

With one of these, you would be closer to having success, but stem plants may not manage. Brazilian Pennywort is one that will with the light I've suggested; this is about the only stem plant I can get good growth from under my moderate lighting.

Are you adding any fertilizer other than carbon? And is it diffused CO2 or liquid carbon (like Excel)? There has to be a balance of all 17 nutrients required by aquatic plants, plus sufficient light, before they can photosynthesize adequately.

Byron.

Maxillius 11-12-2011 08:45 PM

I use Flourish once a week and have a gravel like earth made by fluval underneath my gravel! I do not have a kit to test for plant tho. thank you while I was looking on the net I noticed those led tube 7 watt 18 inch that would fit my setup, specs are
Technical Specifications:
Input Voltage: 85-265VAC
Color: Day White (Warm/Day/Natural White Available)
LED Qty: 120 Super Bright DIP LEDs
Lumens: ~550 lumens (DW)
Materials: Aluminum extruded back heat sink. Enclosed in a clear PC tube. Thick AL circuit board.
Power Consumption: 7W
Beam Angle: 120
Dimension: 4.92 ft (5ft), 3.93 ft (4ft), or 1.96 ft (2ft), 1.5 (18 Inch)
Lumenous Maintenance: ~80% at 80,000 Hrs.
Approvals: cETLus - ETL US Approved (4 Ft 17 watt DIP/SMD Tubes)
Work Environment: IP54 & Indoor use (applicable for dry environment)

Warm White: 3700 Kelvin; ~ 600 lumens - Yellowish Light
Natural White 4100 Kelvin; ~ 650 lumens - Slight Pink Light
Daylight White: 5500 Kelvin; ~ 700 lumens - Pure Day White
Cool White: 7000 Kelvin; ~ 700+ lumens - Bluish Light
would those be any good? :)

Byron 11-13-2011 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxillius (Post 891928)
I use Flourish once a week and have a gravel like earth made by fluval underneath my gravel! I do not have a kit to test for plant tho. thank you while I was looking on the net I noticed those led tube 7 watt 18 inch that would fit my setup, specs are
Technical Specifications:
Input Voltage: 85-265VAC
Color: Day White (Warm/Day/Natural White Available)
LED Qty: 120 Super Bright DIP LEDs
Lumens: ~550 lumens (DW)
Materials: Aluminum extruded back heat sink. Enclosed in a clear PC tube. Thick AL circuit board.
Power Consumption: 7W
Beam Angle: 120
Dimension: 4.92 ft (5ft), 3.93 ft (4ft), or 1.96 ft (2ft), 1.5 (18 Inch)
Lumenous Maintenance: ~80% at 80,000 Hrs.
Approvals: cETLus - ETL US Approved (4 Ft 17 watt DIP/SMD Tubes)
Work Environment: IP54 & Indoor use (applicable for dry environment)

Warm White: 3700 Kelvin; ~ 600 lumens - Yellowish Light
Natural White 4100 Kelvin; ~ 650 lumens - Slight Pink Light
Daylight White: 5500 Kelvin; ~ 700 lumens - Pure Day White
Cool White: 7000 Kelvin; ~ 700+ lumens - Bluish Light
would those be any good? :)

The numbers look good. The daylight white and cool white would be the best, in combination if that is possible. If not, then the daylight alone. But I am not sure this is adequate light.

LED light is something I know little about; from my research, many believe it is usually insufficient, esp over larger tanks, or the cost for sufficient fixtures is considerable. Having said that, I have seen LED used over smaller tanks, say 10-20g in one of my local fish stores, and the plant growth after a few months under this was very good. But that is a lot of LED (2 units) over a small tank.

e2paradise 11-13-2011 09:15 PM

15W light is not enough