Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Quick stocking question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/quick-stocking-question-85817/)

ThWind81 11-12-2011 12:28 PM

Quick stocking question

I have a nicely planted 16 gallon bowfront currently stocked with 5 neon tetras and a Bolivian Ram. All of these fish stay at the bottom third of the tank. I would like to add a Gold Gaurami and an Angelfish who might occupy the upper part of the tank. Is this combination ok? Is it too much? Any other suggestions? I had two Bolivian Rams but I took one back because they just did not get along.

Thanks very much!

MinaMinaMina 11-12-2011 02:34 PM

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there are some problems here.
I don't think this would be a good idea. Most importantly, this tank is WAY too small for an Angel. I cannot emphasize this enough. The absolute smallest an angel should be kept in is a 25g with a height of no less than 20 inches, and almost always they should never be kept alone. They should be in either a breeding pair or a group of 5 or more (which would require at least 55 gallons, preferably more). We're talking about a fish that might grow up to have fins that are, top to bottom, 10 inches tall!
Also, Gourami and Angelfish generally do not get along. And most, if not all, gourami will be too large for your tank.
Your Bolivian Ram will eventually outgrow your tank.
I would increase your numbers of Neon Tetra to 7 or more. Then you could give us your water parameters (pH, hardness, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, temp, filtration, etc) and then we could recommend some happy little fish for your happy tank.

tiochile 11-12-2011 02:58 PM

I agree. This is way too small for an Angelfish

ThWind81 11-12-2011 10:26 PM

Cool, thanks for your replies. I will def not get an angel. Maybe when I get a house! I actually planned on getting a couple more neons and can't wait. I started with six but one little one died within 24 hours. The other 5 are fine. Anyway.. I plan on only keeping the one Bolivian Ram. I would like to add one more fish of similar size but different species because I had 2 Rams that did not get along. Is there a calm fish that I could add that has a little size and might occupy the upper portion of the tank and feed at the surface? There is plenty of room up there as the current fish stay down low. This would be nice visually because half the time, from across the room, the tank looks void of fishies! The neons and ram love chillin in the woods and I am happy to have provided nice spaces for them but I would like to see a little more scale! The ram is like a dog. When I come around he pokes his head out of a hole in a rock he hides behind and it looks like this :shock: .

Water telemetry: (ph = 7.8) (Temp = 78F) (Ammonia .25ppm) (Nitrite = 0) (Nitrate = 5ppm) (Filter = Aqueon Quiet Flow 10, 100GPH)

mileshs95 11-12-2011 11:29 PM

you might be able to get away with a dwarf gourami, as they only get around 4" and do not need much swimming space. and definitely do not get an angel. i got one and my gourami killed it within 24 hrs

Byron 11-13-2011 01:33 PM

I commented on this issue in your thread on lighting since you had asked about angelfish and gourami there. I won't merge the threads since the initial issues are different, but to keep consistency I will copy over my comments verbatim.

I would not add an angelfish. And not gourami with angelfish. Angels are shoaling fish, and unless you intend to have a breeding pair, they should be in groups of 5 or more. And that means a 4-foot tank like a 55g minimum. They attain 6+ inches with an 8+ inch fin span.

Gourami without the angel might work, depending upon the species. The medium/larger gourami will eat neons and any similar fish. I watched 3 Blue Gourami corner a neon in a store tank one day, and the neon was gone in a matter of seconds. The gourami then turned their attention to another neon. I didn't stay to see more.

The Bolivian is fine on its own, as it mentions in the profile. Mixing gourami with any cichlid is not advisable, and I missed this point in the other thread. I would stay with small/medium sized fish in your situation. For some upper activity, surface fish like hatchets are a good option. Pencilfish are another option. Rasbora in the genus Trigonostigma would also work, they tend to remain in the mid-upper level.

Byron.

ThWind81 11-14-2011 11:13 AM

Awesome, thanks.
Out of those options I like the Harlequin Rasbora the best. I read that they do best in groups of 10 or more so I would shoot for 10. Other places said 8-10.
So... I would have the Bolivian Ram, 10 Neon Tetras, 8-10 Rasboras, a snail and possibly an albino bristlenose to help the snail on the crew. Too much? Looking at the tank it seems like there would be plenty of room especially if the Rasboras like the top strata but I think I would be a little overstocked. I think my filtration is good and my tank is moderately to well planted and 16 gallons. Sand substrate covered partially with gravel especially around plants. Bolivian likes to sift the sand.

Byron 11-14-2011 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThWind81 (Post 893111)
Awesome, thanks.
Out of those options I like the Harlequin Rasbora the best. I read that they do best in groups of 10 or more so I would shoot for 10. Other places said 8-10.
So... I would have the Bolivian Ram, 10 Neon Tetras, 8-10 Rasboras, a snail and possibly an albino bristlenose to help the snail on the crew. Too much? Looking at the tank it seems like there would be plenty of room especially if the Rasboras like the top strata but I think I would be a little overstocked. I think my filtration is good and my tank is moderately to well planted and 16 gallons. Sand substrate covered partially with gravel especially around plants. Bolivian likes to sift the sand.

You might want to hold off on the BN; unless you really like the fish itself. If it is just for algae, it is best not. You are pretty high on the fish load. And I would perhaps reduce the shoals a bit, to say 8-9 neon and 8-9 rasbora.

The Harlequin Rasbora was the one Trigonostigma species I did not have in mind:lol:. The other two, common names Lambchop and Hengels, are in my view better. A bit smaller, and the Hengels have that lovely bright copper crescent. Might be a bit harder to find, but this species has been around this past year more than previously.

The rasbora are upper level but not surface, so some floating plants would fill that space in and be much appreciated by the ram, neons and rasbora, all of which will be out and about more with a cover of floating plants.

Byron.