Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Help with getting the right type of fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/help-getting-right-type-fish-85807/)

mothman 11-12-2011 01:30 AM

Help with getting the right type of fish
 
Hello everyone Iím new to this forum and I need a bit of help. I just bought a 55 gallon fish tank and I am lost as to what kind of fish I should get. I have a filter, heater, gravel and tank cover with the lights. I have some experience with gold fish but I would like to have more colorful fish and maybe some coral, any help would be appreciated.

GwenInNM 11-12-2011 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mothman (Post 891376)
Hello everyone Iím new to this forum and I need a bit of help. I just bought a 55 gallon fish tank and I am lost as to what kind of fish I should get. I have a filter, heater, gravel and tank cover with the lights. I have some experience with gold fish but I would like to have more colorful fish and maybe some coral, any help would be appreciated.


Welcome to the site! There are lots of things you'll have to answer for people to be able to help you here. Has your tank been cycled? Do you want a freshwater or saltwater tank? What is your ph level, and what level of commitment are you prepared to make? If you get fish considered more difficult to keep, are you prepared to meet water requirements etc? Goldfish are a very easy fish. If your tank isn't cycled, you should consider doing fishless cycling first, while you're doing your research on fish.

You should also consider live plants. They really make a tank look attractive and natural. There are lots of nice colorful fish. You can check the profiles of fish here (above, under "Tropical fish Profiles") and you should also go to a reputable fish store and start looking at fish and asking questions.

I'm sure others will weigh in with ideas too! It's always good to do your research about types of fish, care, personality, temperment, etc, before you get the fish - you won't regret it! Much better than having fish you don't want later.

Have fun!

Gwen

mothman 11-12-2011 05:13 PM

I am currently in the process of cycling my fish tank. I would like to start out with a freshwater tank. I donít know what my ph level is how do I find out? I am very a very committed pet owner, I have four dogs, three birds, ten gold fish and a res turtle. But I have never really had any fish other than goldfish so I want to start out with easier fish to take care of but I am willing to try and care for fish which are harder to keep. I would like to add plants as well but I was thinking of getting the fish first and then get the plants or should I get the plants first? The fish I was looking to get were angelfish, clownfish and some damsels are these fresh water fish and can they be together?

efeene 11-12-2011 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mothman (Post 891797)
I donít know what my ph level is how do I find out?


There are many test kits to determine your pH. API sells a very quick/easy/reliable liquid one that I recommend.

efeene 11-12-2011 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mothman (Post 891797)
I would like to add plants as well but I was thinking of getting the fish first and then get the plants or should I get the plants first?


Getting plants first is a great way to speed the cycling process along. I added live plants to my aquarium when I was starting and it was the best decision I made. They soak up the ammonia/ammonium in the tank and use it for their fertilization making the water cleaner for the fish. There are very easy plants that require very little of you. Water Sprite is a great floating plant for new tanks. There are others - Java Fern, Java Moss, Anacharis, Amazon Sword (most Swords for that matter) that are also very easy and help greatly keep a nice healthy tank. Highly recommend live plants and maybe a piece of pre-soaked driftwood or two. Best of luck!! :)

mothman 11-12-2011 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by efeene (Post 891808)
There are many test kits to determine your pH. API sells a very quick/easy/reliable liquid one that I recommend.

Thanks, I'll try and buy it after work.
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 11-12-2011 06:16 PM

Welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum.

You mentioned angelfish, damselfish and clownfish; the latter two are marine (saltwater) fish, and "angelfish" can refer either to the saltwater fish or the freshwater angelfish.

We have profiles of fish (fresh and marine) and plants, under the second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top of the page. You can browse through those for some ideas. Tank sizes, numbers (some fish are shoaling and need a group), water requirements and compatibility issues are all covered in the profiles.

The API terst kit for ammonia, nitrite,nitrate and pH is a good investment. You also need to know the hardness of your tap water, that you can ascertain from the water supply folks who may even have a website. It is much easier and safer to select fish that suit your water than trying to adjust the water for sensitive fish.

Byron.

mothman 11-13-2011 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by efeene (Post 891819)
Getting plants first is a great way to speed the cycling process along. I added live plants to my aquarium when I was starting and it was the best decision I made. They soak up the ammonia/ammonium in the tank and use it for their fertilization making the water cleaner for the fish. There are very easy plants that require very little of you. Water Sprite is a great floating plant for new tanks. There are others - Java Fern, Java Moss, Anacharis, Amazon Sword (most Swords for that matter) that are also very easy and help greatly keep a nice healthy tank. Highly recommend live plants and maybe a piece of pre-soaked driftwood or two. Best of luck!! :)

Great, thanks I'm going to buy some later on after researching a bit.

mothman 11-13-2011 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 891861)
Welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum.

You mentioned angelfish, damselfish and clownfish; the latter two are marine (saltwater) fish, and "angelfish" can refer either to the saltwater fish or the freshwater angelfish.

We have profiles of fish (fresh and marine) and plants, under the second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top of the page. You can browse through those for some ideas. Tank sizes, numbers (some fish are shoaling and need a group), water requirements and compatibility issues are all covered in the profiles.

The API terst kit for ammonia, nitrite,nitrate and pH is a good investment. You also need to know the hardness of your tap water, that you can ascertain from the water supply folks who may even have a website. It is much easier and safer to select fish that suit your water than trying to adjust the water for sensitive fish.

Byron.

Thanks a lot I'm going to buy the API tester kit first and then try and decide what fish to get.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2