Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Nano Reef (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/nano-reef/)
-   -   Starting Bio-Cube 29G! Advice? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/nano-reef/starting-bio-cube-29g-advice-85804/)

andrewr2488 11-11-2011 11:54 PM

Starting Bio-Cube 29G! Advice?

I recently bought a 29G Oceanic Bio-Cube 29G Aquarium, and I plan to start it up tuesday which is my next day off. I have expressed my interest in starting a Marine aquarium on this forum before, and everyone ones quite helpful.. Basically I'm listing what I've "decided" on and maybe some people can share experiences and things of that nature.

I'm having a LFS make me a custom stand out of oak wood. I'd like to have a refugium of some sort with just to have some livesand, live rock rubble, and chaeto algae. If I let that build up pods for about 8 months then would adding a mandarin be acceptable? I've seen people have success with them in nano reefs, but the safety of the fish comes first.

For sand I'm curious, My brother has a 29 biocube also and hes using natures ocean bio-activ live aragonite sand and hasnt had any complaints but I like the look of natures ocean marine white sand. Its not live sand so would the live rock I add get the bacteria to the sand to make it live?

I'm planning on using Pukani Rock that a local fish store stocks, but I'm having mixed thoughts. Should I buy it from the LFS already cured or Should I order Dry Rock from BRS?

Also I bought some products that my brother recommended I put in when I start the tank.( Kent Strontium & Molybdenum, Kent Essential Elements, Kent Coral-vite, Seachem Reef Complete, Instant Ocean Bio-Spira) Well the 1st 4 I mentioned were left in the trunk of my car for like a week, does it matter?

Just looking for guidance so I do this right the first time :roll:

Reefing Madness 11-12-2011 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewr2488 (Post 891306)
I recently bought a 29G Oceanic Bio-Cube 29G Aquarium, and I plan to start it up tuesday which is my next day off. I have expressed my interest in starting a Marine aquarium on this forum before, and everyone ones quite helpful.. Basically I'm listing what I've "decided" on and maybe some people can share experiences and things of that nature.

I'm having a LFS make me a custom stand out of oak wood. I'd like to have a refugium of some sort with just to have some livesand, live rock rubble, and chaeto algae. If I let that build up pods for about 8 months then would adding a mandarin be acceptable? I've seen people have success with them in nano reefs, but the safety of the fish comes first.
Yup, you should be ok at that point. You can also buy pods to dose in the tank.

For sand I'm curious, My brother has a 29 biocube also and hes using natures ocean bio-activ live aragonite sand and hasnt had any complaints but I like the look of natures ocean marine white sand. Its not live sand so would the live rock I add get the bacteria to the sand to make it live?
Substrate is of choice. It will get bio life, no worries. If you have really high flow the sand tends to blow a bit more.

I'm planning on using Pukani Rock that a local fish store stocks, but I'm having mixed thoughts. Should I buy it from the LFS already cured or Should I order Dry Rock from BRS?
Pukani is some really good stuff, good choice. People buy dry rock instead of Live Rock because they dont' want all the risky hitchhickers that come with it. Buying Fully Cure Live Rock will knock your cycle down to one week instead of 4-6 weeks.

Also I bought some products that my brother recommended I put in when I start the tank.( Kent Strontium & Molybdenum, Kent Essential Elements, Kent Coral-vite, Seachem Reef Complete, Instant Ocean Bio-Spira) Well the 1st 4 I mentioned were left in the trunk of my car for like a week, does it matter?
When you start, there is no need to add anything. Test your water in the beginning for Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates and Salinity. Once cycle is complete test for those + Magnesium, ALK, CA, and PH. Then worry about what you need to dose to keep them where they need to be. All you need is in the Salt to begin with.

:-D

Reefing Madness 11-12-2011 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewr2488 (Post 891306)

Yup, you should be ok at that point. You can also buy pods to dose in the tank.

Substrate is of choice. It will get bio life, no worries. If you have really high flow the sand tends to blow a bit more.

Pukani is some really good stuff, good choice. People buy dry rock instead of Live Rock because they dont' want all the risky hitchhickers that come with it. Buying Fully Cure Live Rock will knock your cycle down to one week instead of 4-6 weeks.

When you start, there is no need to add anything. Test your water in the beginning for Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates and Salinity. Once cycle is complete test for those + Magnesium, ALK, CA, and PH. Then worry about what you need to dose to keep them where they need to be. All you need is in the Salt to begin with.

:-D Depending on what you plan on keeping in the tank. You need 10x the water volume in turnover for FOWLR and at least 20x the water turnover for a Reef.

andrewr2488 11-13-2011 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefing Madness (Post 891534)
:-D Depending on what you plan on keeping in the tank. You need 10x the water volume in turnover for FOWLR and at least 20x the water turnover for a Reef.

I'm going to be doing a reef tank, I dont understand what you mean by turnover water volume.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reefing Madness 11-13-2011 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewr2488 (Post 892256)
I'm going to be doing a reef tank, I dont understand what you mean by turnover water volume.
Posted via Mobile Device

Flow in the tank. Powerheads. If your getting a 29g tank, you would need 290gph powerheads for water movement in a FOWLR, and at least 580gph minimum flow from powerheads in a Reef. Or Might I suggest 2 300gph or higher powerheads.

andrewr2488 11-15-2011 07:39 PM

Well I just got my tank up and running a few hours ago. So far just 20# of Carib sea live sand, 7# of pukani live rock, and 20g of saltwater. I'm buying a hydor 425gph powerhead. I will post pics of the initial setup and some of after it cleared up. I'm getting a magnet to clean and a few accessories. I'll keep everyone updated.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reefing Madness 11-15-2011 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewr2488 (Post 894567)
Well I just got my tank up and running a few hours ago. So far just 20# of Carib sea live sand, 7# of pukani live rock, and 20g of saltwater. I'm buying a hydor 425gph powerhead. I will post pics of the initial setup and some of after it cleared up. I'm getting a magnet to clean and a few accessories. I'll keep everyone updated.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sand should cover at least 2" of the bottom. Live Rock, if you are going Reef, you should have at least 2# per gallon, as this acts as your filter. No skimmer? Going weekly water changes?

andrewr2488 11-16-2011 12:55 AM

Im going to look into a Skimmer tomorrow, but the LFS all charge an arm and a leg for everything! 60 bucks for a hydor koralia nano 260gph! Yes though I plan on adding a skimmer, and a power head ASAP. Also im looking at making a fuge under the tank. Also I have heard from just about everyone in the hobby that sand is either to be 1" or less, Or 4-6"

andrewr2488 11-16-2011 01:23 AM

These pictures were taken right after I topped it off, Still quite cloudy.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...oCube29079.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...oCube29082.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...oCube29078.jpg

These pictures were taken about 6 hours later, it had cleared up pretty nicely. Thats just 7# of Pukani LR, I do plan on adding more but I'm wating for the LFS to have bigger pieces. Also the aquascaping didnt turn out bad for doing it while the tank was cloudy.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...oCube29085.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...oCube29086.jpg

Tomorrow I'll be adding the Hydor Koralia Nano 425gph Powerhead, a Magnet cleaner, and Possibly a Skimmer.

onefish2fish 11-16-2011 04:38 AM

off to a good start, buying online will offer cheaper prices then the LFS and if everyone did that it will either force them out of business or to lower their prices.

i also suggest looking into dry rock from marco rocks and searching your area for a local reefing club.