Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   False Red Terror Cichlid Pictures (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/false-red-terror-cichlid-pictures-85802/)

MrWynO14 11-12-2011 12:40 AM

False Red Terror Cichlid Pictures

2 Attachment(s)
I decided to post some pics of my Mayan Cichlids I've had for almost two weeks now. I had a little battle with ich which I previously posted about not that long ago. They're all better now so I snapped a couple shots.

A little background info on these little guys....I had to get them special ordered from a local pet store. None of the stores where I live have been able to get them for over a year now. I bought 10 of them for my 135 gallon aquarium, I payed $6.99 each, they're about 2 to 2.5 inches now, and I was told they were Festae lol. The pet store owner was finally able to get "Red Terror Cichlids" from his breeders and gave me a call. When I asked if they were True Red's or False Red's he didn't know or understand the difference. I then explained the difference to him and he got back to me after giving his breeders a call. They told him they were Festae but I was still sceptical. After observing them when he got the order in, I told him they were Mayan Cichlids AKA False Red Terrors. I bought them anyhow because I've never seen False Red's available in my area either, which is Central California by the way. SO....with all the background info said, here's the pics. I'll be posting some more up in a day or two, and hopefully a video.

dmuddle 11-14-2011 06:53 PM

Lol, they look like they are doing well. It is amazing how many pet stores know little about fish, I went to an aquarium and asked if they had any Corydoras Catfish and they asked what they were.

ginagv 11-14-2011 11:58 PM

thats just sad.

e2paradise 11-15-2011 12:12 AM

small fish

MrWynO14 11-16-2011 11:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
They didn't know what a corydoras catfish is lol, you gotta be kidding me. That person should have been fired haha. And yes....they are very small indeed, here's a couple more pics along with a video. More pics to come as they continue to grow :-D

rrcoolj 11-20-2011 01:48 PM

lol you know most people I know strive to get festae so it is a bit odd for someone to go through so much to get mayans. They are going to grow into stunners though and will look great. I am assuming you are aiming for a pair?

MrWynO14 11-20-2011 04:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yea I'm aiming for a pair but I already had two die on me. They were both the smallest ones and the aggressiveness got to the point where the smallest one would stop eating and just kinda hide in the corner. One died, then after about a week the next one. The smallest one out of the 8 now is starting to do the same thing :evil: These fish are more aggressive than some of the other cichlids I've had in the past, such as Oscars and Jack Dempseys. I just hope this vicious cycle stops here soon so I am able to get a pair.

rrcoolj 11-20-2011 05:37 PM

Don't lose hope. It is not unusal for this kind of thing to happen. It might help to add smaller target cichlids like convicts.

MrWynO14 11-20-2011 07:41 PM

That's a great idea I didn't even think of that.....Thanks for that suggestion. tomorrow I'm gonna go buy some baby convicts, I think you can get them for like a dollar a fish, or even less sometimes.

rrcoolj 11-20-2011 08:25 PM

Another idea is a alightly larger fish to dominante the rest of the mayans as they grow like a mid sized jack, oscar, or severum. it is up to you the convicts are probably the cheaper option.