Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   HELP! Strange things going on with my water changes! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/help-strange-things-going-my-water-85789/)

punch 11-11-2011 07:37 PM

HELP! Strange things going on with my water changes!

So, I have a 44 gallon planted aquarium. I do a 20% water change once a week. The last couple of weeks, I do my water change Saturday, everything is fine. Sunday I go check my tank and everybody is at the top gasping for breath! I killed 2 rams a couple of weeks ago and wiped out (almost) my school of tetra's the next week. I don't understand it. I make sure my CO2 isn't too high. I use the same bucket to do water changes. Nothing has changed. The next day, it's like everything is back to normal. My water tests as always. It's getting where I'm scared to do my water change tomorrow. I don't want to kill what fish I have left. Funny thing. My false Juli Cory cats don't seem to be effected! Oh, but my shrimp are. The last couple of times I turned off my CO2 and added a pump and air stone to see if that helped.

Calmwaters 11-11-2011 07:39 PM

Do you have city water? Have you thought about leaveing the water sitting out over night that you plan on useing for the water change?

Boredomb 11-11-2011 07:45 PM

How long has the tank been running? Do you know the actual numbers for your tab water? Or what source are you using for water? Well/city/RO or distilled water?

AbbeysDad 11-11-2011 09:02 PM

I'd ask the same questions about your tap water as the other members have asked.
Have you tested the tap water?...recently?
What conditioner do you use? Are you adding the correct amount of conditioner to the new water before it goes into the tank?
Is the replacement water about the same temperature as the tank water?

punch 11-11-2011 09:14 PM

I use city water, so I guess I'll have to retest that. Tank has been up and running a little over a year, and I use API stress coat and conditioner. Water temp of added water is close to the tank, Maybe a little cooler. It's strange. I haven't had this problem before. I'd like to let my water set over night, I just don't have that many buckets!

Boredomb 11-11-2011 09:23 PM

I am wondering if you have low KH in your tab water? Also how long have been running Co2?

punch 11-11-2011 10:17 PM

I do have low KH, and hard water. I've been running the CO2 almost as long as I've been running the tank.

Boredomb 11-11-2011 10:22 PM

Do you know what the ph is of the tab water verses your tank water? I am wondering if you are having a ph fluctuation when you doing the water change. Being your tab water ph is higher then your tank water. A drastic ph difference would cause problems with the fish.

punch 11-11-2011 10:27 PM

You may have a point there, my tap water Ph is really hi. Really, about a 9. Adding Co2 brings it down to about 6.8. The thing is, it's never been a problem before. Should I test my Ph before and after the water change? (well, of course I should) Any tips if this might be the case?

Boredomb 11-11-2011 10:47 PM

Well if you KH is low that's you buffing factor that keeps the ph from dropping. Being that's low already as the tank matures biologically the ph will naturally fall. Adding C02 on top of that will just add to that. I would check your numbers again and see actually where they fall both on the tank and your tab water. The numbers may have change since the last time you tested. From there if this is the case. Smaller more frequent water changes should stop major ph swings.