Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Rams with other dwarf cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/rams-other-dwarf-cichlids-85753/)

magpie 11-11-2011 08:10 AM

Rams with other dwarf cichlids

Hey there,

I have a 65 gallon, and at some point plan on adding a pair of Blue or Bolivian Rams. (As yet to be determined). I love dwarf cichlids and would like to add another pair to the tank with the Rams.

What experience do you all have with Rams and their fellow cichlids?

I have read that Apisto. Cacatuoides are a good match, and that Kribs would likely be too aggressive for the Rams.

Any other suggestions?
Other Apistos?
Any different Pelvicachromis species that might work, since P. Pulcher probably won't?

Thanks!

Jwest 11-11-2011 09:59 AM

I imagine you could get about two pairs of dwarf cichlids. it depends on well planted and the amount of area for them to hide. if you intend to keep alot, stay away from males because they will become aggressive when breeding. Also they like higher temperatures,lower ph, and cant tolerate alot of nitrates than most fish. check them out on the fish profiles.

Kribs(pelvivachromis) are alot similiar. as much as i know all the species behave the same. I saw pure white ones the other day at a lfs and they looked pretty awesome. They maybe more tolerant of water conditions than rams or apistos. The come from africa rather than south america.

magpie 11-11-2011 10:42 PM

I've read about the Rams quite a bit. I'm leaning towards apistos, but there are so many to choose from. Are there many differences in personalities between the species or should I choose based on what I like the looks of?

I have a ton to choose from in my LFS.

Jwest 11-11-2011 10:49 PM

That I don't know about =(. I would think so. You're lucky you have so many to choose from! i rarely see multiple apistos at any LFS in my area.

Jbrofish8 11-12-2011 12:38 AM

I bought my apistos from a guy from aquabid who sells apistos and rams, at the time he was trying to get me to get a pair of rams as well. He said they keep apistos and rams together in almost every single one of their tanks and they do fine.

He even said that they've had instances where the apistos will lay eggs inside a cave and the rams will lay eggs on the outside of that same cave.

I have no experience with rams, only apistos. But this guy really knew a lot about both species and seemed to have great luck with keeping them together.

magpie 11-12-2011 01:07 AM

What kind of apistos have you had, and what are their personalities like?

Thanks for the info!

Jbrofish8 11-12-2011 01:10 AM

Ive had Apisto. Cacatuoides for a few months now. I really love them..each fish has its own personality and they are so fun to watch. I have 1 male and 4 females..they pretty much leave every other fish alone in the tank, even when spawning. There is minor aggression between the females when spawning occurs, but nothing major.

My mom has a Kribensis, and I'm not sure if she just got a male with a bad attitude or what, but he is very very aggressive, even to other fish. She just recently added a female and now his aggression is even worse. VERY different compared to my apistos.

magpie 11-12-2011 08:17 AM

I have read that about Kribs - I was told not to keep them with Rams due to this. They're beautiful but I think I"ll always have a soft spot for my first cichlid love the Rams! :) I love how interactive and curious they are. They follow you around and I love their little showy spats.

Thanks for the input.