Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   My fresh water fish have MAJOR issues(many) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/my-fresh-water-fish-have-major-85751/)

Kara1979 11-11-2011 08:57 AM

My fresh water fish have MAJOR issues(many)

Ok I am having several issues with my tank. I am a new tank owner only had them 2 wks. They either keep dieing or are acting strange.

I have Mollies, Guppies, tetra, and 2 small algy eaters. I have a 30 gal tank, I treat the water with conditioner and a little auqm salt. I do partial water changes 2 times a wk right now sense im having so many probs right now but only doing about a 20% change. I have had SEVERAL Guppies die and my Mollies are shaking, darting, swimming up right and rubbing on things. I have finally gotten the stuff needed to test the water and here are my readings....Nitrate 20, Nitrite 0, Hardness 150, Alkalinty 180, PH 8.4. I have put in a PH lower which has now gotten it down to about 7.6. I have also put a pariste medication in it so at this time i dont not have my filter in it. The parisite meds seem to be helping its been 48 hrs and I dont beleive I have seen them rubbing on anything or swimming up right any more so hoppfully that prob is gone. However my guppies still seem to be dieing, not really swimming much, when i turn on the light in the mornings they are either laying on the bottom or just floating in a conner. They just dont seem to be acting normal. Is there something I am doing wrong??? I there something I need to add to the water? I just want a happy tank!! Please help me!!

magpie 11-11-2011 09:02 AM

Did you test your ammonia?

Kara1979 11-11-2011 09:04 AM

That is the only thing I have yet to test. I got for everything but that. I will go get that stuff today. What should my Ammonia be reading wise?

Romad 11-11-2011 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kara1979 (Post 890591)
That is the only thing I have yet to test. I got for everything but that. I will go get that stuff today. What should my Ammonia be reading wise?

Ammonia should be zero. Did you cycle this tank at all before adding fish or did you cycle the tank with fish?

Kara1979 11-11-2011 09:11 AM

It was cycled when I bought it however it had more than a 50% water change so I did add the bacteria in with it the first time. It was with fish.

Kara1979 11-11-2011 09:16 AM

Also the PH lower and the medication has now been in there for 48 hrs. Can I put my filter back in now??

Romad 11-11-2011 09:37 AM

First, stop adding the PH chemicals to the water. They only work short term and the ph swings could be more harmful to your fish than gradual ph changes when you do water changes. What is the PH out of your tap water?

As for meds., which med are you using and what are you trying to treat? Do you know for sure that you have a parasite issue? If the fish are flashing and rubbing, they might have ICH. Are there visible signs of ICH (fish look like they've been sprinkled with salt) or another real parasite?

And what type of filter are you using? You should be running your filter but without charcoal while you are treating the tank.

Kara1979 11-11-2011 12:28 PM

Ok got ya...I will stop using the ph adjuster. The reading straight out of the tap is....PH is i think it reads 7.8, and everything else is still the same as the last readings. I can really lower the PH with water changes? I just did one 2 days ago and it was still high am I not taking enough out? What could raise my PH?? My Ammonia is if im reading it right at the "stress" level of .5 What needs to be done there?

Meds: Im just using an over all parisites fiz tablet. I got the one that had all their symptoms on it because I read that when they dart/shaking, swim up right, or rub on things its a parisite. I bought them out of the store doing that. So im trying to treat whatever is making them do that. Like I said they have stopped doing that for the most part. I do know what ICH looks like and it is for sure not that. They dont have any visible probs out side except their tail fins are jagged but I thought maybe the tetras where fin picking.

Filter: ok didnt explain myself good enough on that. I have been running the filter yes but took out the charcoal filter before I put the meds in sorry about typing that wrong.

Also another piece of info I have not shared is I also have a 10 gal tank with baby fry in it. I have both molly and guppy fry. That tank has the same readings as well but sense my tap water is not reading that at first then I have to be doing something wrong.

By the way thank you for all your great info!!

Romad 11-11-2011 12:54 PM

Your tap water PH is slightly above neutral and most fish will do ok with that. However, you should check the Tropical Fish Profiles (top of the main page of the forum - LH side) for each of your fish types in the tank and see what the best paramaters are for each type. You can always rehome fish or see if the store will take them back for store credit if you have fish that aren't going to do well in your tank.

You should also check your tap water for ammonia. Some people do have trace amounts in there to begin with. Frequent water changes (especially when fish are sick) and treating the tap water with a really good conditioner like Seachem Prime will go a long way in getting your fish healthy.

Prime also neutralizes ammonia and nitrites for 24 hours or so when added to the tank and new water.

As for the charcoal, it's not really necessary until you want to remove meds. from your tank. Follow the manufacturers dosage suggestions and length of time when using any meds. and then when you're done, charcoal should be added to the filter to remove the remaining meds in the tank.

It's really hard to determine what your fish have without physical symptoms or pictures. If it were me (and it's not), I would not treat with anything unless you know for sure what is going on or if there really is a true illness. Shredded fins could just be bacterial fin rot or nipping like you said.

Can you be more specific about the algae eaters? Are they plecos, otos, or chinese algae eaters? Scaleless fish are sensitive to salt and otos are pretty picky about water conditions. Chinese algae eaters are fairly aggressive too - especially when they mature.

Kara1979 11-11-2011 01:05 PM

My bottom feeders are small, one is a Pelco, there other I dont know what its called but its only about an inch long mayber a little more, kind of gray brown with a black strip down its side. He stays hidden for the most part except at feeding time. Both are pretty mello and never seem to bother any of the others and seem to be doing great.

So should i treat for the ammonia or not?? Something has to be stressing/killing them.