Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   guppy victem (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/guppy-victem-85700/)

liz26914 11-10-2011 02:39 PM

guppy victem

I currently have a 10 gal tank with 4 guppies, 1 platy and 1 male betta. I just got the platy and guppies last week. There were some bullying going on between the guppies but I thought it would be ok. I just noticed that one of my guppies was missing a huge chunk of tail fin.I removed him from the tank and put him in a container. Wht can I do to stop the bullying and what can I do to help my guppy heal faster? Will he be able to grow back d fin? I already have stress coat in the water. Also I currently have velvet in my tank and am treating it with copper safe.

thekoimaiden 11-10-2011 03:16 PM

Your guppy is probably missing his fin because of the betta. Bettas often mistake other species with long flowing fins for other bettas and attack them. Removing the betta should take care of the bullying problem. Just get a 5 gal plexiglass tank for him, and he will be perfectly fine. If you don't want to treat two tanks for velvet you could get a 10 gal separator until the velvet is cleared. Your guppy's fin will regrow perfectly fine. Just give it time and make sure the water stays good and clean.

liz26914 11-10-2011 08:11 PM

I'm pretty sure its the guppies that are attacking him. this isn't the first time that he was missing a bit of fin. Just the worst. The other guppies go after him a lot. I just saw one go for his fin. My betta ignores the other fish and the fish stay out of his way.

e2paradise 11-10-2011 09:43 PM

ohhh, move it to container????

thekoimaiden 11-11-2011 12:21 AM

Guppies are usually rather peaceful fish, but you might have some aggressive ones. Every fish is unique. How many males and how many females do you have, by chance? Also how many plants do you have in the tank? If you provide more hiding spaces for your guppies there might be less aggression among them.

iamgray 11-11-2011 12:32 AM

My first guess as to the culprit would be the betta. Although you have said you've never seen him acting aggressively, a lot can happen after the lights go out. Other than that, I would move to the other male guppies as the next likely aggressors. While they are supposed to be peaceful, in my experience with three different types of livebearers (guppies, mollies, and platies), I have noticed a tendency for some males to be complete jerks (other than platies, who seem to be all peaceful, all the time), especially if there aren't enough females present.

iamgray 11-11-2011 12:35 AM

As far as healing the wounded fin, I have had great success with pimafix and melafix... One of those products is for healing wounds, while the other is for fungal infections... I can't remember which one is which, but it is clearly marked on the labels. I would check but they are at the office,mand I am at home.

ladayen 11-11-2011 11:38 AM

Clean water is the best medicine for healing wounds. As mentioned, I would guess the betta, but you should look at how many males and how many female guppies there are.

liz26914 11-11-2011 01:13 PM

i have all male guppies bc i dnt want 2 end up w babies in my full 10 gal tank. And the guppy with the ripped fin is the smallest in the grp. Also another reason tht I dn't thnk its my betta (other than tht he's my baby) is tht when I feed my fish, I always feed my betta his pellets first and i drp them rt in front of him, this morning the guppy with the ripped up fin had no prblem of swiping a pellet as my betta was going for it. If it was my betta who ripped into him, wldnt the ripped up guppy be afraid of him?

liz26914 11-11-2011 01:16 PM

plant wise. I have clump in the back. good enough to use as a hiding place. I wld add more but the ones I have now isn't doing to good with what I am treating my tank for velvet, copper safe. So I may wait b4 I get more plants