Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Is my molly pregnant? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/my-molly-pregnant-85674/)

MckinneyFish 11-10-2011 08:56 AM

Is my molly pregnant?

4 Attachment(s)
I am new to fishkeeping and I got a few mollies about a month ago to cycle my tank. It looks like one is pregnant but I am not sure, does she look it to you? If so, about how far along does she look and should I move her to a breeding net now, or wait?

-Sorry for the pictures, this is my most active fish and it is near impossible to get a picture.

TwilightGuy 11-10-2011 04:34 PM

Yea, I'd say she's very pregnant, based on the squaring off of her belly. I would isolate her right away, she could go any time. Sometime even moving to a new tank will trigger delivery but that's not necessarily a good thing. Looks like lots of good vegetation for the fry to hide in, so possibly keep her where she is and move the other fish, if it's not a lot of trouble. Good luck, it's interesting to watch.

MckinneyFish 11-11-2011 01:28 PM

It is weird...
She has looked like this for a couple weeks now and I put her in the breeding net last night, now all of a sudden today she looks much smaller but I see no sign of her having given birth...unless she had a small amount of babies and ate them all, I have no idea what hapened. I am not home all the time so I couldn't monitor her.

bucaday 11-11-2011 04:23 PM

Were your molly already big when you removed her from the tank?

MckinneyFish 11-11-2011 04:31 PM

Yep, she looked like she was about to explode when I moved her.

TwilightGuy 11-14-2011 06:21 PM

Any news yet? Can you post a current photo of her?

Groovysunflowers 11-15-2011 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MckinneyFish (Post 890752)
It is weird...
She has looked like this for a couple weeks now and I put her in the breeding net last night, now all of a sudden today she looks much smaller but I see no sign of her having given birth...unless she had a small amount of babies and ate them all, I have no idea what hapened. I am not home all the time so I couldn't monitor her.

First of all, putting her in the breeding net and then leaving her there was the worst thing you could have done. If I had personally known you wouldn't be home all the time, I would have suggested leaving her alone in the tank with freedom to roam. The fry may have had a surviving chance at that point. The only time it's ever a "good" idea to put her in a breeding net is as soon as you see her actually giving birth, and if you have other tankmates who are semi-aggressive or much bigger than her. As soon as you see her stop giving birth (usually 4-6 hours at the most, little as 30 minutes-to an hour) that's when you remove her from the net.

2 things happened in this case--she either became overly stressed from being in such a small space (the net) that she aborted the pregnancy, or you were gone too long, and she was in the net long enough to eat every fry in there. Which probably wasn't many to begin with from the stress.

She's still fertile, so good luck in the next couple of months, and heed this warning!