Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Guppy died, internal bleeding? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/guppy-died-internal-bleeding-85559/)

Lost in a Jungle 11-08-2011 10:46 AM

Guppy died, internal bleeding?

I had two female guppies and a male guppy, and one of the females died this morning. I'm a little concerned about it, and I haven't read anything on here that mentions anything like this (yet... I'm still looking)

This guppy had a white body with a really light yellow tale, and we noticed last night that her body had a bunch of streaks of what looked like blood inside it (my boyfriend described it as she looked like she'd been hit by a truck). The red streaks were on both sides of her body.
And her tail looked weird; almost like it was flaking off? It had gone kind of dull and gray-ish; it wasn't really yellow anymore.

I wanted to take a photo to post, because she just looked so weird, but my boyfriend flushed her before I could.

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be, and if it's some kind of disease, is there something I should do to the tank to protect the other fish?

Thanks for any help...

MinaMinaMina 11-08-2011 11:40 AM

I'm not the best with fish illness, but if I were to wager a guess...

Septicemia? Can have either viral or bacterial cause. Like most fish disease, the fish is usually made susceptible by stressors like poor water quality, incompatibility, shipping/moving, etc.
I haven't dealt with this myself, but from what I understand it can affect some fish in the tank while leaving others be. But if your guppy was more susceptible to illness because of stress, its just a matter of time before the other fish reach their individual tolerance for the stressors and become ill, too. So let's see if we can find a cause?

Since this is a new tank, my first guess would be problems with water quality due to incomplete cycling. What are your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH values?

Lost in a Jungle 11-08-2011 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinaMinaMina (Post 888032)
I'm not the best with fish illness, but if I were to wager a guess...

Septicemia? Can have either viral or bacterial cause. Like most fish disease, the fish is usually made susceptible by stressors like poor water quality, incompatibility, shipping/moving, etc.
I haven't dealt with this myself, but from what I understand it can affect some fish in the tank while leaving others be. But if your guppy was more susceptible to illness because of stress, its just a matter of time before the other fish reach their individual tolerance for the stressors and become ill, too. So let's see if we can find a cause?

Since this is a new tank, my first guess would be problems with water quality due to incomplete cycling. What are your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH values?

Thanks for the reply. I don't have any way to test the water at the moment, but my boyfriend took a sample to the pet store where we bought the fish. They told him everything looked good, but that the pH value was low (he didn't say how low), and that we had the water temperature up too high (it's been at 80 degrees.).

We've actually lost quite a few guppies since we set up the tank; just none that had the red streaks. Could the pH value being low be causing that to happen?

MinaMinaMina 11-08-2011 02:38 PM

I could, it depends on how low it is. If you click on the shaded fish name Guppy, or use the "Tropical Fish Profiles" button on the navigation bar above, you can find out all about guppies and see that they need medium hard to hard water and a pH 7-8.5. So, if the pH was low enough, this could certainly cause problems.
Usually pet store use stripes to run in-house tests, and these are notoriously inaccurate. And subjective words like "good" don't really help you understand. For example, to them, "good" could mean no nitrites showing on their inaccurate strip, or "good" that you are showing nitrites and are progressing in your cycle.
Most people here reccommend the API brand "master kit" which includes assays for pH, high pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate. I would get one of these kits and test the values yourself.
You should also, if you haven't already, read Byron's article on the nitrogen cycle. I'll link it here shortly, but I have to run now.

MinaMinaMina 11-08-2011 03:33 PM

Ah, here it is:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...m-cycle-38617/