Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Some Help Please (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/some-help-please-8555/)

nofinga911 09-30-2007 09:33 PM

Some Help Please

Ok 1st is there a difference between and acid buffer and a PH adjuster?
What is good to use to lower nitrite? What is good to lower ammonia level? OR is there anything that can take care of all of those or just more then one of them? Thanks guys!

Kettemor 09-30-2007 09:39 PM

Re: Some Help Please

Quote:

Originally Posted by nofinga911
Ok 1st is there a difference between and acid buffer and a PH adjuster?
What is good to use to lower nitrite? What is good to lower ammonia level? OR is there anything that can take care of all of those or just more then one of them? Thanks guys!

To lower Ammonia you need Nitrosomonas, and a good thing to lower Nitritate is Nitrobacter. They are both bacteria that will establish once your tank is cycled. Other then that there is nothing you can do unless you want to water change. It just sounds like your tank needs to be cycled.

Also I don't recommend using anything to try and lower your PH unless its peat or driftwood. Fish can generally acclimate to a PH, it is just rapid changes that hurt them.

nofinga911 09-30-2007 10:01 PM

so I shouldnt try to get my PH in the mid ranges? waht about "prime", it sounds like it takes care of a lot of things, this is what I read about it

"Prime is the complete and concentrated conditioner for both fresh and salt water. Prime removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia. Ammonia is converted into a safe, non-toxic form that is readily removed by the tank's biofilter. This product may be used during tank cycling to alleviate ammonia/nitrite toxicity. Prime detoxifies nitrite and nitrate, allowing the biofilter to more efficiently remove them. It also promotes the production and regeneration of the natural slime coat. This product is non-acidic and will not impact pH. Use at start-up and whenever adding or replacing water."

Lupin 10-01-2007 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nofinga911
so I shouldnt try to get my PH in the mid ranges?

There really is no need for you to adjust the pH. Maintaining constant pH is better than constantly changing pH which will harm and eventually kill your fish.

Concerning your ammonia and nitrites, if your tank is still on cycling phase, simply continue monitoring the water parameters as time flies by. Water changes will help dilute ammonia and nitrites.

gus6464 10-01-2007 10:19 PM

My new tank was having some nitrite spikes and I added some Java Moss. Within a week the tank was completely nitrite free and has been for weeks. There is an article on bettatalk.com that talks about Java Moss and how they absorb nitrites.