Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Will these work? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/will-these-work-85448/)

Calmwaters 11-06-2011 11:40 PM

Will these work?

Hi guys I won a bid on a 40+ plant order on ebay but I am not familar with the needs of most of them or were they should go in a 55 gallon so please help me out I think it was a good deal ruffly $1.00 a plant I just hope they will work with my tank. I have two 6500 daylight bulbs, one on each side of the tank, will that be enough light for these plants?
1. Riccia Fluitans...1 portions
2. Ludwigia, Broad Leaf (Ludwigia repens)...6
3. Bacopa monnieri ...6
4. Ceratophyllum demersum- Hornwort ...2
5. Egeria densa (Elodea)...1
6. Elocharis acicularis 'Dwarf Hairgrass' ...10
7. Microsorum pteropus “Java Fern” ...1
8. Sagittaria subulata ...3
9. Lloydiella, Golden (Lysimachia nummularia) ...10
10. Vallisneria spiralis (Italian) ...5
11. Crinum "Dwarf" onion plant (Zephyranthes candida)... 1

Boredomb 11-07-2011 09:10 AM

#1 is crystalwort a floating plant best I can figure
#2 if that grows in your tank let me know. I have wanted one but didn't know if I had bright enough lights
#3 is moneywort- never had this plant
#9 is the best I can figure the yellow version of creeping Jenny and needs bright lights to maintain the coloring.

Looks like a lot of stem plants in that order. They should work though with the questionable #9, #2 which should just might not get the bright reds though.

Calmwaters 11-07-2011 09:22 AM

Thanks Boredom. I will let you know if the 2 one does well or not.

Boredomb 11-07-2011 09:54 AM

Ok did some looking on the dwarf onion plant and everything I see says bright lighting for that plant also.
Oh and I missed this but you said you have 2 bulbs one on each side of the tank. So like 2 18" bulbs?
If so that's not very bright. I (for some reason) thought you had two full lenght bulbs. Sorry.
So with that said #2,6,9, and 11 you might have problems with.

Calmwaters 11-07-2011 10:02 AM

Thanks Boredom yes its one bulb on each side. I know I should of researched before I bought them but there was only 30 minutes left on the auction when I placed the bid so it did not give me much time and when I placed the bid I really did not think I would win for the price. Do you know if there is anything I could do to increase the lighting without haveing to replace the light fixture?

Boredomb 11-07-2011 10:17 AM

No sorry replacing the fixture is the only way I know of to the increase the lighting.
These plants may do okay I have never had them and this is just what I read online about them (which isn't always the best info LoL).

Calmwaters 11-07-2011 10:27 AM

LOL I don't really care if they stay red I just don't want them to die. I hate tossing money in the trash. LOL It will be next month before I can replace the lighting if it needs to be so I guess we will give it a go and see what happens. ; )

Byron 11-07-2011 12:32 PM

Boredomb has basically answered your question. Stem plants generally require more light than substrate rooted or other plants, so plant them in as direct light as you can and hope for the best. My experiences even with my light are not good with stem plants. Brazilian Pennywort is the only one I have managed to grow well in moderate light.

As for increasing the light, the tubes that are 18 inches will all be the same although some manufacturers make them with different phosphors so they may be a tad brighter (more intense). The Hagen "Glo" series is such, the Power=-Glo is the brightest I know of, though I am not fond of the purplish hue and prefer the Life-Glo which is a bit less intense but better "light". ZooMed Ultra Sun is comparable. And there are likely others. But we are not talking about significant differences. Changing fixture to a 48-inch tube in single T8, single T5 or dual T8 is the only way to increase intensity. I tend to stay with low and moderate light plants; this allows me to have less light which means less light on the fish as well as less cost on my hydro bill.:-)

Calmwaters 11-07-2011 02:04 PM

Thanks Byron. What do you guys think about a single T8 bulb on each side? They have these at Walmart for $8.00 would it be better, worse, or the same? I went today to pick up new tubes but saw these and thought I would hold off until I can get you guys opinion.

Boredomb 11-07-2011 03:02 PM

Ok so I kinda confused actually kinda lights do you have now?
Also I can not get that link to work.