Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Coral and Reef Creatures (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/)
-   -   Will a Sea Anemone kill my puffers? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/will-sea-anemone-kill-my-puffers-85321/)

dfbiggs 11-05-2011 03:35 PM

Will a Sea Anemone kill my puffers?

1 Attachment(s)
I want to add the anemone in the pic. It will be the size of a fist....my puffers are 1.5". What are the chances of the anemone stinging and eating them. Is this a bad idea? I want one bad but don't want to risk my puffers lives. They are my first priority.

Reefing Madness 11-05-2011 05:16 PM

Your fine. The fish try to stay away form them, they know what they are. Its the same as everyone else having all their other fish they keep and Anemones. No worries. Only time he'll get stung is by an accidental crazy swim by.

dfbiggs 11-05-2011 10:00 PM

My concern is they are such small fish....and its going to be a larger anemone. Isn't that how they survive..like jellyfish? I just don't want my fish to get sucked in and become lunch or get a sting they can't recover from.

Reefing Madness 11-06-2011 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfbiggs (Post 885785)
My concern is they are such small fish....and its going to be a larger anemone. Isn't that how they survive..like jellyfish? I just don't want my fish to get sucked in and become lunch or get a sting they can't recover from.

They don't get sucked in. They have to run into the Anemone, then the tentacles grab and sting it. Fish tend to stay away from them, unless they are clowns, they know what they are. And will only run into it accedently.

dfbiggs 11-06-2011 06:22 PM

By "sucked in" that's what I mean't.:) But puffers are curious so if they accidentally run into it and it stings doesn't it paralyze them? I just saw a few videos of anemones eating live goldfish...and another video of the owners removing the anemone because it kept killing their fish. I may back out of this idea. I haven't found an owner with a tank with puffers and anemones yet to ask.

Reefing Madness 11-06-2011 07:40 PM

Never heard of nor have I seen a Puffer get paralyzed by a Anemone. I have seen many fish get stung by them and not get paralyzed either, fish gotta be small for that to happen. Up to you, I think your worrying for nothing. But.:-D

dfbiggs 11-08-2011 12:44 AM

I have added the anemone...So far so good. Thanks for your help. Also, Can you tell me the name of this anemone? I found it in a sump in a store...someone told me and I forgot it because they told me it could have been 3 different types.

dfbiggs 11-08-2011 12:48 AM

Atlantic Condylactus?

Reefing Madness 11-08-2011 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfbiggs (Post 887760)
Atlantic Condylactus?

Condy, yup. Could be. Most get those and LTA mixed up.

dfbiggs 11-08-2011 09:50 AM

What's LTA?