Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Fin nipping issue (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/fin-nipping-issue-85305/)

Lynxinater 11-05-2011 11:06 AM

Fin nipping issue

A couple days ago I noticed one of my female guppies had a decent sized chunk missing from her fin, i watched her and she seemed normal otherwise. Well today it looks like someone else has joined the fun and taken another bite out. I put her in the breeder box thing for now because its all ive got available, but im afraid she may not live anyway she looks very stressed. Did the other guppies do this? Ive read about shrimp doing it could it have been them? Everyone else appears to be fine and have no damage. Can i do anything for her to keep her stress down and maybe have her live? She looks very close to having babies.
Posted via Mobile Device

Calmwaters 11-05-2011 06:03 PM

I am thinking it was the guppys you really need to have at least three female for each male guppy you have. Not sure what you could do for her maybe put some floating plants to help her feel like she is hidden.

Lynxinater 11-05-2011 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calmwaters (Post 885539)
I am thinking it was the guppys you really need to have at least three female for each male guppy you have. Not sure what you could do for her maybe put some floating plants to help her feel like she is hidden.

I do have 3 females per male, and plants
Posted via Mobile Device

willow 11-05-2011 06:06 PM

+ 1 about some plant for her to hide in,
guppys are such nippers it's unreal,i used melafix to treat mine.
never without it if i'm keeping them.

Lynxinater 11-05-2011 06:08 PM

Well i should be getting more plants in the mail soon, i ordered thsm last night, but my tank is planted. Thanks for the advice on the meds ill look for it in my lfs.
Posted via Mobile Device

willow 11-05-2011 06:12 PM

no worries,and if you can add more females,that's great,as males are real bad for
being bullies.

Lynxinater 11-05-2011 06:14 PM

Yeah I also have some female Platys they chase around, but as it stands there are about 3 females per male. Esp since I had a male die the other day, My co2 injector freaked out and it ended up spiking my nitrates, he was new and it was too much for him I think.

willow 11-05-2011 06:17 PM

aww what a shame :( not nice to lose a fish.
let us know if she makes it won't you ?

Lynxinater 11-05-2011 06:27 PM

Yeah will do. She makes me a bit nervous for the fact that she's not really eating at the moment. And in my experience if a guppy skips a meal, they're a goner. But we'll see.

willow 11-05-2011 06:33 PM

awww,maybe she's just upset ? lets hope so,if you're at the LFS would you be able
to get either fresh or frozen water daphnia,never seen a fish refuse them.