Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   Fish ID? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/fish-id-85197/)

MinaMinaMina 11-03-2011 11:36 PM

Fish ID?

Hi! I had some surprise fry show up in my fishless tank. I'm trying to find out more information about these fry's possible species, so that I can rear them correctly. So both they and I appreciate your help!

One of the 3 possibilities is a tetra, probably in
Hyphessobrycon, that I'm not familiar with. The LFS dude called it a "Snowflake Tetra". I'd never heard of these and googling turned up nada. I searched google images and the pic below is pretty darn close if not exact. Even if my fry don't turn up to be this species, I'm still be interested
to know an ID. Any help?
Much appreciated, thank you!

Edit: The only pic I can find is copyrighted and disabled for linking. So imagine a Bleeding Heart Tetra without the heart and sickle dorsal fin, and with a delicate pink body coloration and fins of translucent pinkish white. Anyone?

Byron 11-04-2011 10:12 AM

I think I have seen this common name somewhere, but it was a while ago and I cannot recall what the fish looked like. Your description could apply to a species in the rosy clade of Hyphessobrycon, perhaps a variant lacking the shoulder patch. A photo would help.:-?

MinaMinaMina 11-04-2011 10:22 AM

Hmmm. Let's see if this works...

Go here:
Peixes - a set on Flickr

It is the first pic on the left in the second row. It has a black background. Its labeled as Hyphessobrycon Rosaceus, but its coloring doesn't look like a typical Rosy Tetra.

Hope that works!

Byron 11-04-2011 11:16 AM

That looks like an albino form of some characin, probably a Hyphessobrycon, but can't be certain.

I think the fish I was thinking of is a variant of Hyphessobrycon rosaceus with an almost-completely white dorsal fin, and it was called "Snowflake" in the store. Not a natural species. You can see a video of a group of these fish here:

Not saying this is your fish, just this is what I recall "snowflake" referring to.

MinaMinaMina 11-04-2011 11:29 AM

Hmmm. Interesting. Your commentary seems to add credance my Hyphessobrycon suspicion, so that's something. I'm going to try to get a pic of the fish at the store, and I'll see what more I can dig up.
The fish in the suspect tank at my LFS belonged to an employee who was going off to college, so the store took his fish to sell. So its not surprising that it may be an unusual species or color morph, nor is it surprising that the other employees don't know a lot about it.
I always say I love a good mystery, but what I really mean is that I like solving a good mystery. I hope to see an answer to this riddle!
Thank you so much for your time and help. If I raise the three fry successfully, I'll be sure to reveal their mystery identity!

SomeDudeAtHome 11-05-2011 04:19 PM

Could it be a white skirt tetra?

MinaMinaMina 11-05-2011 04:39 PM

That could be it, or close.There are a few slight differences, but my memory could be off. I think I need to go take a pic of the ones at the store to compare.

Right now I'm leaning towards Rainbowfish for the mystery fry, but its all a guessing game at this point.

We're such sleuths! Thanks!