Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Proper Snail Nutrition? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/proper-snail-nutrition-85134/)

BobtheSnail 11-03-2011 09:04 AM

Proper Snail Nutrition?

Hey everyone!

So, it occurred to me today that my snail is probably not getting the proper nutrition he deserves. Right now he's probably only getting leftover fish food (and I'm not so sure there's too much of that). Soo... I did some research and found things like cuttlefish bones, fresh veggies, egg shells, etc.

My question is- how much of that stuff would be safe to put in a fish tank? I'm assuming one would have to take whatever produce you put in out the next day (or put it in in the morning and take it out before bed?). I guess cuttlefish would be okay, I'm mostly worried about the veggies and doubtful of the egg shells.

Thanks guys (and ladies)!

AbbeysDad 11-03-2011 09:16 AM

@NotBob,

Not sure where you get your information - bones?, egg shells?, fresh veggies? - Unless you have shark snails, they can't eat that stuff. Snails don't have teeth and slurp algae, mulm and other soft foods and what we might call waste. You could try some veggie type plant matter, but I don't think the snails will be much interested until it begins to decay.

AD

downerbeautiful 11-03-2011 11:04 AM

When I fed mine some cucumber and melon, none of my vegetarian or omnivorous critters were interested in it. I've since stuck to algae wafers and everyone likes those, even the carnivores. I just feed what they can eat in a few hours. If it's still in the tank after a couple-three hours, remove it lest it cloud your water to high heaven. That seems to do the trick for my snails' and other fish's nutrition.

BobtheSnail 11-03-2011 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbbeysDad (Post 882978)
@NotBob,

Not sure where you get your information - bones?, egg shells?, fresh veggies? - Unless you have shark snails, they can't eat that stuff. Snails don't have teeth and slurp algae, mulm and other soft foods and what we might call waste. You could try some veggie type plant matter, but I don't think the snails will be much interested until it begins to decay.

AD

Feeding & Watering - Chapter 4. / Comprehensive Snail Care Guide

Yeah... I was kind of suspicious, (cuttlefish?!?!?!) but it made sense...

"Shark snails" made me laugh... and certainly gave me an odd mental picture. :)

@downerbeautiful Thanks! I'm mainly concerned that putting cucumber in the tank would dirty up the water and hurt the fish, and that Bob wouldn't like it anyway and it would be a total disaster. And since they are finally cured of their ich and fin rot (Thanks petsmart! Not...), I'm not too willing to risk that again.

AbbeysDad 11-04-2011 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobtheSnail (Post 883251)
Feeding & Watering - Chapter 4. / Comprehensive Snail Care Guide

Yeah... I was kind of suspicious, (cuttlefish?!?!?!) but it made sense...

I think your link refers to land based snails.

chevysoldier 11-04-2011 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbbeysDad (Post 884671)
I think your link refers to land based snails.

I would say so because of this:

Quote:

Water isn't necessary for the snails as long as their surroundings are humid enough, a bowl of water is recommended as the snails will drink from it and also like to 'bathe' in it.