Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Need Help Finding Dolomite. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/need-help-finding-dolomite-85108/)

patadams66 11-02-2011 09:26 PM

Need Help Finding Dolomite.

Has anyone bought this online? So far i have searched big Al's Foster and Smith and googled it 10 different ways and have come up with nothing, i was linked before a place to buy 50 lbs of dolomite rock but thats ridiculous lol

so ill turn to you, have any of you bought this stuff before ? where did you find it?

Thanks

kfletch99 11-02-2011 09:47 PM

since dolomite is a carbonate rock wouldnt it change the parameters of the if your water is slightly acidic

patadams66 11-02-2011 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kfletch99 (Post 882660)
since dolomite is a carbonate rock wouldnt it change the parameters of the if your water is slightly acidic

i want to use it because i have no buffer it will add to the KH and help stabalize my PH.

kfletch99 11-02-2011 10:43 PM

is there any other types of rocks you can use i know dolomite is a altered form of calcite which comprises the greater part of limestone so i you could find that maybe that would would as a buffer. but i don't know if people use limestone in aquarium settings

ladayen 11-03-2011 12:44 AM

Dolomite will raise your PH, and it is quite good at doing that but it does wear out over time and has to be replaced.

Unfortuantly most of the time dolomite is found it's unwanted and destroyed/ignored making it somewhat rare to find for purchase.

Byron 11-03-2011 03:56 PM

After searching in vain for dolomite locally and even online (in Canada anyway) I have discovered a near-identical mineral substance, called aragonite. This is a carbonate mineral and a natural crystal form of calcium carbonate. This dissolves calcium and magnesium into the water slowly, just as dolomite does. The nice thing is that aragonite seems to be readily available as gravel and sand for marine tanks; CarribSea market it, and I have one local shop that even sells it in bulk by the pound.

I have yet to try this, but will be doing so this weekend after I acquire a few pounds and add it in a mesh bag in the canister filter. From my reading, it should act much the same as dolomite, so a little goes a long way. It will naturally raise the hardness and corresponding pH; the extent will depend upon the amount of aragonite and the existing chemistry of the water.

I came across this in an article by Mark Denaro on Royal Plecos in the November 2011 issue of TFH. He recommends adding aragonite to the canister filter to add buffering.

Byron.

patadams66 11-03-2011 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 883243)
After searching in vain for dolomite locally and even online (in Canada anyway) I have discovered a near-identical mineral substance, called aragonite. This is a carbonate mineral and a natural crystal form of calcium carbonate. This dissolves calcium and magnesium into the water slowly, just as dolomite does. The nice thing is that aragonite seems to be readily available as gravel and sand for marine tanks; CarribSea market it, and I have one local shop that even sells it in bulk by the pound.

I have yet to try this, but will be doing so this weekend after I acquire a few pounds and add it in a mesh bag in the canister filter. From my reading, it should act much the same as dolomite, so a little goes a long way. It will naturally raise the hardness and corresponding pH; the extent will depend upon the amount of aragonite and the existing chemistry of the water.

I came across this in an article by Mark Denaro on Royal Plecos in the November 2011 issue of TFH. He recommends adding aragonite to the canister filter to add buffering.

Byron.

NICE! i shall await the results of your experiment

i honestly was about ready to cave and buy the 50 lbs and ship you a flat rate box of it haha