Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   stocking plans (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/stocking-plans-85105/)

Jayy 11-02-2011 09:04 PM

stocking plans

This what I plan to stock my 55gal with. Ive checked on aquadivisor, but I want to be sure everything is fine. So once again this is 55gal.

Stock:
8 black phantom tetras
10 harlequin rasboras
3 marbled mollies(1m2f)
3 platies( all m)
6 peppered cories
1 dwarf gourami
1 guppy

My tank is planted and I have an marineland 400 pro, which goes up to 90gal, soo I have a lot of fileration.

Jayy 11-02-2011 11:08 PM

Bump ^^

ladayen 11-03-2011 12:57 AM

your mollies, guppy and platies may attempt to cross breed. It's possible that any female of the 3 will be harassed to death if there are not enough to spread out the "attention". I would suggest you keep 2-3 females of each or do all males. Actually likelyhood of crossbreeding is low but they will try.

PS. Thats really not alot of filtration. Livebearers like a bit of current I believe so you may actually need more.

Jayy 11-03-2011 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladayen (Post 882798)
your mollies, guppy and platies may attempt to cross breed. It's possible that any female of the 3 will be harassed to death if there are not enough to spread out the "attention". I would suggest you keep 2-3 females of each or do all males. Actually likelyhood of crossbreeding is low but they will try.

PS. Thats really not alot of filtration. Livebearers like a bit of current I believe so you may actually need more.

Well, I was doing the one m two f, but bought a young female that turned out to be a young not fully developed male. Soo should just do two males because I already have them in my tank. I don't have any of the others right now. I still want the mollies,but I don't really need the guppy.

Jayy 11-03-2011 04:51 PM

Bump ^^

Only One Haze 11-03-2011 04:56 PM

What are your water parameters? If I'm not mistaken Harlequins prefer soft, acidic water, where livebearers prefer harder more alkaline water.

Jayy 11-03-2011 05:05 PM

I dont know the exact numbers, but its somewhere in between.

Byron 11-03-2011 05:36 PM

We need numbers for the hardness and pH. Hardness you can ascertain from the water supply folks. Probably pH too at least for the tap water (initially this would help), but it is advisable to have a pH test kit for the aquarium as regular pH checks can help spot trouble before it is trouble.

You list fish that absolutely must have basic medium hard water (molly particularly). The rasbora and tetra would be better in soft slightly acidic water but as these are now commercially tank raised they manage (somewhat) in slightly basic water.

I would not add a guppy with the molly and platy. The dwarf gourami is a risk; Honey Gourami would be better, and a small group. Provided water parameters are not extreme.

Byron.

Jayy 11-03-2011 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 883331)
We need numbers for the hardness and pH. Hardness you can ascertain from the water supply folks. Probably pH too at least for the tap water (initially this would help), but it is advisable to have a pH test kit for the aquarium as regular pH checks can help spot trouble before it is trouble.

You list fish that absolutely must have basic medium hard water (molly particularly). The rasbora and tetra would be better in soft slightly acidic water but as these are now commercially tank raised they manage (somewhat) in slightly basic water.

I would not add a guppy with the molly and platy. The dwarf gourami is a risk; Honey Gourami would be better, and a small group. Provided water parameters are not extreme.

Byron.

Soo what exactly are you saying? Is the list fine besides the water, which I'll get checked out and the gourami and guppy.

Jayy 11-03-2011 06:11 PM

How would get in contact with the water supplier??( I'm 14) dont know. Could I find this out with a water test from a lfs?