Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   stocking a ten gallon (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/stocking-ten-gallon-8502/)

oddball99 09-27-2007 11:25 PM

stocking a ten gallon

Any ideas for stocking a 10 gallon freshwater tank?

St6_Devgru 09-28-2007 12:02 AM

small inch long fish

Amphitrite 09-28-2007 01:22 AM

Are you planning on planting the tank, and what are the tank dimensions?

Lupin 09-28-2007 03:29 AM

I'd suggest browsing your local pet stores for fish you are interested to keep. You can post the list of fish you want here and we'll help you sort it out. On the side note to your other thread, do not add fish yet until your tank has finished cycling. You mentioned you set it up only a week. Give it time and continue monitoring your ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH. Cycling methods are found in one of the sticky threads in Starting and Maintaining FW Aquariums section posted by fish_4_all. You want to avoid future problems. Ammonia and nitrites are both toxic and you want both at zero level in the end. Use API liquid test kit to start with.

tophat665 09-28-2007 06:26 PM

I have got to sit down and write a long post on this one of these days....

In a heavily planted tank: (Not All At Once!!)
Maybe 8 of the somewhat larger tetras - Black widows, Diamonds, like that
Up to a Dozen fish slightly larger than Neons: Glowlights, Harlequins, Black Neons, Lemon Tetras.
Up to 15 fish of the same general size, shape, and demeanor as Neon tetras.
Up to 20 Ember Tetras, Green neons, or Microrasboras (Fish considerably smaller than neons)
Up to 6 kuhli Loaches
Up to 15 Pygmy, Dwarf, or Dainty cories (C. pygmaeus, hasbrosus, and hastatus, respectively).
Up to six small cories (C. panda, san juan, guapore - the ones that max out around 2" - no larger than that.)
One male betta
6 female bettas (no more, no less)
Up to 15 Amano Shrimp
Up to 20 Red Cherry or Crystal Red Shrimp
Two or three Sparkling, Dwarf, or Dwarf Honey Gouramis
Up to 3 Ottos (you won't be able to feed more than that)
A half dozen guppies (and a will to cull the fry)
5 Platies (or more dwarf platies)
Up to 10 Endlers
2 or three dwarf puffers (and nothing else)
A half dozen badis badis (but you'll need to keep live food on hand)
A single pair of the smaller apistos.
2 or three moth catfish (good luck finding them either to put in or to take out)
Up to 4 Mystery snails - but best to keep it to one.
Probably as many as three African Dwarf Frogs.

In a Tanganyika type tank, one breeding group of shell dwellers (either a pair, or a male with a few females - and lots of snail shells)

In a brackish tank, up to 10 bumblebee guppies

In a cool water tank:
up to 12 white clouds or
one male and 2 female white cheeked gobies (no more, no less)

So a really nice little tank could be 8 or so ember tetras, a pair of ottos, 8 or so Pygmy cories, and say, 4 or 5 Lemon Tetras

Or 5 kuhlis and a pair of Dwarf Honey Gouramis.

Or one male betta, a mystery snail, and a couple of dwarf frogs.

oddball99 09-30-2007 12:18 AM

Thank you for the list tophat :) . On another note, I am using API freshwater master test kit and my parameters are ph:7.8, ammonia:0.50,
nitrite:0, and nitrate:0. And yes I have planted the tank. The dimensions
for the tank are 20"x10"x12". And devgru, could you be more specific. Do you think I could have a rainbow shark in that tank?

Falina 09-30-2007 04:15 PM

A rainbow shark would grow too big and become too agressive unfortunately, as would any shark that I know off.

Tophat gave a lot of good suggestins there.

Any ideas what fish you'd like and then we can try to work around that? Sometimes best if you know one fish you definitely want.

oddball99 10-06-2007 06:22 PM

I just got my fish!! :D :D I have 6 neon tetras and a pleco!

Lupin 10-06-2007 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oddball99
I just got my fish!! :D :D I have 6 neon tetras and a pleco!

What pleco did you get?:?