Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Is that "ok"? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/ok-85002/)

Llsmom08 11-01-2011 05:01 PM

Is that "ok"?

If when my tank is done cycling and I get a livebearer, but don't want babies, what do I do with the fry? Do I take them back to pet store? Let the fish eat them (which seems sad, I don't know that is "ok" or not, is that a natural fish thing? I don't want to be evil:( ) or would my best be to not get a livebearer? But I just love the mollies so much:(

zof 11-01-2011 05:27 PM

Most pets stores wont take fry and usally wont take livebearers at all, best option is just to try and get all one sex, next best option is to get a bigger fish to eat the fry as they come along, but even then you might get 1 or 2 survivors a year.

TwilightGuy 11-02-2011 07:10 PM

Noooo, don't let them get eaten..... I'm in So Cal also, I'll take them off your hands. Send me A PM if you want to work out an arrangement. I'm in San Gabriel Valley, drive to West LA daily.

ladayen 11-02-2011 07:13 PM

You can go for an all male tank. If you do get females though make sure you get 3+ females for every male.

SmokeNLark 11-04-2011 06:50 PM

If you get one sex, get females, not males. There is less aggression. I have a platy tank and I let the fry get eaten. I do get some survivors though. I feel it's ok to let them get eaten, but i still feel bad for them. I get so many babies sometimes that I feed them to my bettas. It's better then them growing up and over populating my tank making a bad environment for everyone. Or having to rehome them to someone who doesn't know what their doing or will use them as feeders anyway. Stores usually won't take fry. Livebearers breed like rabbits. Every one of my females is pregnant all the time. As soon as she gives birth, shes bred again. If you just get females, all you have to worry about is them possibly being pregnant when you bring them home. Most fry (if not all) will get eaten.

It's not fun to think about, but it is something that happens naturally.

ladayen 11-04-2011 07:54 PM

In an allmale tank theres nothing to fight over, not much aggresion usually. As mentioned females are usually pregenant when you get them so you have the chance to get males. Males are the attractive ones as well.

chevysoldier 11-04-2011 09:02 PM

Letting them being eaten is a good choice if you can't get someone to take them. It's actually healthy for the fish and very natural in the wild.

Groovysunflowers 11-08-2011 02:52 PM

LOL why is everyone telling the OP to get a female if they clearly said they don't want babies? Livebearers DO breed like rabbits, so there's, like, a slim to none percentage of taking home a female who ISN'T already pregnant or stashing some sperm. Don't forget, Livebearers can stock male sperm for as long as up to 6 months, and readily become pregnant if water conditions are right, even without a male around. And I'm sorry...but...some of these commenters may need a reality check on how fish lived BEFORE aquariums were invented. Food chain, people? Population control? Survival of the fittest? What the hell do you think happened to baby fish in the wild? LOL the hardy survive and the weak were snacks among the rest, even parents. There's nothing evil about it, really. You know, the Lion King thing. Circle of Life and all that jazz.

ladayen 11-08-2011 06:16 PM

There is a difference between an aquarium and the wild... fish cant exactly swim away when in an aquarium. There may or may not be places to hide in an aquarium.. doesn't matter how "fit" the fish is when going against a fish 100x it's size with no where to run and no where to hide.

Anyways, I agree though it's not really wrong for fish to eat each other. Generally not encouraged but sometimes it has it's purpose.

Groovysunflowers 11-08-2011 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladayen (Post 888351)
There is a difference between an aquarium and the wild... fish cant exactly swim away when in an aquarium. There may or may not be places to hide in an aquarium.. doesn't matter how "fit" the fish is when going against a fish 100x it's size with no where to run and no where to hide.

Anyways, I agree though it's not really wrong for fish to eat each other. Generally not encouraged but sometimes it has it's purpose.

That's why we're encouraged to try and simulate the most "natural" environment we can when keeping aquariums. The OP didn't specify how they'd like to scape their tank, or if it were to be a single species or multiple species tank. Common sense plays a role in the decision making. If you'd like to get a fish, and let it have babies, and hope those babies survive, you obviously would make the necessary changes so that those fish survive, i.e. plants and hiding places, etc, while still remembering the stocking rule, fish will eat whatever smaller size fish can fit in their mouth. If they clearly stated they wanted to own a livebearer and not have the fry to deal with, I'm baffled as to why people would advise a tank full of female mollies.