Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   advice about switching to planted (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/advice-about-switching-planted-84988/)

rjwwrx 11-01-2011 03:11 PM

advice about switching to planted

Hi, just wanting some advice about good starting plants and compatibility as I switch my tank over from plastic to planted. I just added a peice of driftwood, but all other decorations are currently artificial and I want to work towards changing this. Goal is to stay low-tech.

I have a 55g tank still with stock hood lights. Wouldn't be a problem to change these if necessary. I have an aqueon 55/75 filter. I have ~1/4inch gravel substrate about 2-3 inches deep.
Stocking:
8 harlequin rasbora
5 zebra danio
4 glass catfish
2 scalare angelfish(paired)
1 dwarf gourami
1 bristlenose pleco

To start I was thinking of replacing my current two tall plastic plants with Amazon Swords, and some Java moss and java fern to attach to my driftwood. I would also like to do something floating but not really sure what would work best. Any advice or criticism would be great. Thanks.

Jwest 11-01-2011 03:29 PM

First off your stock lighting fixture should work fine for your choice of plants. You'll want to change the bulbs out for 6500k spectrum which can be found at home depot. For floating plants duckweed works well and is easy to obtain.

ladayen 11-01-2011 03:51 PM

Be careful with duckweed... it can be a problem to get rid of it lol. Maybe look into water sprite, or some stem plants, like wisteria can be left floating as well.

Swords get quite tall..2-3' btw so they do require maintenence.

rjwwrx 11-01-2011 04:00 PM

Thank you both for the advice. If I went with wisteria or water sprite could I anchor it to one side to limit most of the shade to that area?

Jwest 11-01-2011 05:41 PM

Water sprite is a nice plant. I guess you could tie thread around it and anchor it with a rock but i would just let it free float. it usually stays in the same area since because of the flow to the filter. Amazon swords are nice because they grow so big.

rjwwrx 11-01-2011 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jwest (Post 881296)
Water sprite is a nice plant. I guess you could tie thread around it and anchor it with a rock but i would just let it free float. it usually stays in the same area since because of the flow to the filter. Amazon swords are nice because they grow so big.

Thanks Jwest :-)

Tracy Bird 11-01-2011 08:42 PM

Another yes nod for Water Sprite.

I have it floating and in the substrate - to me it's very attractive both ways.

I started out with one plant 6 weeks ago and put a few small pieces in the substrate - now I have 5-6 nice bushy plants AND a bunch floating on the surface ALL OF IT FOR $3.99!!!!

Great value, easy to maintain, ecologically beneficial to the aquarium and attractive....

rjwwrx 11-02-2011 01:39 PM

I'm an instant gratification kinda guy so I checked out my local petsmart and found they have a few aquatic plants. I will print out the scientific names of what I want to make sure they are the actual plant. I believe they have anubias nana, amazon swords, and wisteria. Probably go get them this weekend.

Byron 11-02-2011 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjwwrx (Post 882224)
I'm an instant gratification kinda guy so I checked out my local petsmart and found they have a few aquatic plants. I will print out the scientific names of what I want to make sure they are the actual plant. I believe they have anubias nana, amazon swords, and wisteria. Probably go get them this weekend.

Wisteria is higher light and probably will not do well in your tank. You don't detail the light so I will assume by "stock" you mean a single tube 48-inches. If it is two shorter tubes, that is even less light.

Anubias is low light and will be fine; it attaches to wood or rock. Swords will proably work too. You can read more about these plants in our profiles, second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top.

Byron.

rjwwrx 11-02-2011 03:41 PM

Yes I actually have two t8 18" lights, one for each side. I'll be going to home depot or lowes to pick up some better tubes for them and hope for the best.