Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Need help stocking a ten gallon tank!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/need-help-stocking-ten-gallon-tank-84865/)

es31710 10-30-2011 07:19 PM

Need help stocking a ten gallon tank!!!

Hey this is my first time posting and I would greatly appreciate comments. They are greatly needed.
I have a ten gallon tank and I need some help. Right now i have two platies and a baby platy that has gotten too be about and inch or so. I also have one female betta and clown pleco. I have no idea what else I could put in there without being too boring. Any suggestions on more colorful of cool fish. also it planted and has no ammonia or nitrates

jcsgrlnindy 10-30-2011 10:02 PM

I also have a successful 10 gallon tank. I have read and read and read up on what you should do and shouldn't do. First of all, don't forget it is a small world in there....so I keep the rule of thumb...1 inch of fish per gallon. So, for example, in my tank I have 1 female Betta, 2 Peppered Corycats, and 2 Otocinclus. They all get along really well. I have lots of REAL plants, (i.e. swordplants, baby tears, "grass", driftwood). I have plenty of hiding places for all....I use the aquarium safe decor. I know it sounds crowded, but it isn't. I keep the temp at 77 degrees at all times, I use a bubbler for the Otos, and of course a good filter with a bio-wheel. I use test strips to keep track of the water quality. I use a mixture of R/O and a small amount of tap water. I find the R/O (reverse osmosis water) is almost perfect for these guys, so not much tap needed to balance it out. I condition the water with good quality conditioners to remove any chlorine, plant food, and stress coat. Everyone is sooooo happy. I admit, when I first started, I had some problems because I didn't read enough before I began. I don't over feed, but I do feed a small amount of quality food daily (I give them a variety from day to day). No live food, it can cause all kinds of problems. I do a 10% water change weekly, and a 25% water change if the level of strees increases due to amonia. I watch my Betta, Lulu. She is a good on to watch. I check water temps a minumum of twice a day. I have my tank right by my bed on my nightstand....and I sleep like a baby with the lovely sound of bubbles and gentle filter running. Lovely!

Byron 11-01-2011 02:02 PM

Given that a clown pleco will attain 5 inches, and all pleco are high in the waste production (which is a small space is dangerous), I would suggest perhaps re-homing the pleco before adding another fish.

Byron.

es31710 11-01-2011 04:09 PM

Thank you for the replies. I have been getting told tht by some people about the clown pleco. The reason i got him was because i went to a privately owned family fish store so i thought they knew what they were talking about. The guy tells me its ok for a clown pleco to be in a ten gallon tank he only gets to be 3 inches long and he would be a good addition to my aquarium. So as you can imagine i am dissapointed that he is going to get to big and relocate him. I wish i would have joined this website before the fact. But thank you for the suggestions.

Byron 11-01-2011 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by es31710 (Post 881255)
Thank you for the replies. I have been getting told tht by some people about the clown pleco. The reason i got him was because i went to a privately owned family fish store so i thought they knew what they were talking about. The guy tells me its ok for a clown pleco to be in a ten gallon tank he only gets to be 3 inches long and he would be a good addition to my aquarium. So as you can imagine i am dissapointed that he is going to get to big and relocate him. I wish i would have joined this website before the fact. But thank you for the suggestions.

Most of us learned the hard way. Back when I started, one didn't have a computer, let alone access to the internet which was not even known then.:lol: In my view, even a 3-inch fish is large for a 10g tank. I know this fish is not active, but it does produce waste.

If you can trade him (some stores will), fine; but if not, you can manage. Just be regular with water changes (every week, half the tank volume). Live plants help a lot.

Byron.

es31710 11-01-2011 06:01 PM

ya I think I am going to try that he has been in there for like a month he seems to be doing fine he hides in the drift wood. I have tons of live plants and i do about a 30 percent water change every 6 day. So far no ammonia or nitrates have been in there bc i check that weekly. As i advise anyone reading this post to do so too.