Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   algea question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/algea-question-84852/)

futbalstud42 10-30-2011 05:52 PM

algea question

1 Attachment(s)
can anyone help me ID the green algea in this photo? I know its not the best picture, but its all i can get. this algea is a flat film like algea and is a turquois-green in color. it is growing right next to the red/purple coraline on top of the rock also

onefish2fish 10-30-2011 07:39 PM

looks to be another color of coraline.

futbalstud42 10-30-2011 07:59 PM

well thats what i was hoping, again sorry for the bad picture.

here is another question:

there are a few little sprigs of green algea in there too. they are only a couple of mm tall, and kind of bushy on the ends. it appears the cuc is eating them because the branches i saw first are gone and new ones have grown. these are bright green like grass

trukgirl 10-31-2011 11:22 AM

Probably green hair algae

futbalstud42 10-31-2011 11:29 AM

well i initially used dechlorinated tap water to set up the tank, but i am now doing water changes with RO water.

Reefing Madness 10-31-2011 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by futbalstud42 (Post 880253)
well i initially used dechlorinated tap water to set up the tank, but i am now doing water changes with RO water.

Will take a bit to get the Phospahtes out of the tank.

futbalstud42 11-02-2011 11:51 PM

would adding decorative Macros actually help lock some of the phosphates up?

Reefing Madness 11-03-2011 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by futbalstud42 (Post 882762)
would adding decorative Macros actually help lock some of the phosphates up?

Yes. But your going to need a few. Got a fuge? Could add a mess of Chaeto. Or, you could add quite a few Turbo Snails, they will munch up hair algae.

futbalstud42 11-03-2011 08:01 PM

No fuge unfortunately. I would be adding them as much for decoration as filtration. probably more so actually. i have one turbo now as well as several other snails and a few hermits. I would rather add a few nice looking "plants" and continue with water changes, as opposed to cluttering the tank with big wads of cheato.

Reefing Madness 11-04-2011 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by futbalstud42 (Post 883491)
No fuge unfortunately. I would be adding them as much for decoration as filtration. probably more so actually. i have one turbo now as well as several other snails and a few hermits. I would rather add a few nice looking "plants" and continue with water changes, as opposed to cluttering the tank with big wads of cheato.

Turbo Snails will wipe it out for you. 29 gallon tank, 10 turbos show mow it down right quick.