Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   irratic and a red line on fin Comet (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/irratic-red-line-fin-comet-8482/)

Mycael 09-26-2007 02:57 PM

irratic and a red line on fin Comet

My newish comet is swimming up then down to the surface. has been gulping, and has a single red line on it's fin, and it's lower body look air-filled. It has been moved today from tank to bucket for cleaning, ( the tank) Water might be chlorinated.

JouteiMike 09-26-2007 03:48 PM

Fish seems stressed.

We need more detail on the tank and its set-up.

Do you have a liquid test kit? Post your results.
How big is the tank and what else is in it?
What's the regular water change schedule?
What kind of filter do you have, is it suitable for the tank, is it properly maintained?

Sounds like the onset of potential fin-rot. This can be avoided by keeping the water pristine with regular water changes and cleaning maintenance. If it gets worse, like the fins/tail actually fray and rip...or it turns white...you'll be to use medication.

Mycael 09-27-2007 10:18 AM

re:

The fish has settled now. Havn't got a water scedule yet. the fish is alone until sat-sunday the filter is a magic-jet filter whihc has carbon and a sponge in it. I cleaned the sponge because it was clogged. What would you recomend for water changes?

JouteiMike 09-27-2007 05:37 PM

Well I still need a little more information to give you further advice.

Some of previous questions still need answering.

Also - just a side note. Comet goldfish are typically pond fish, so it isn't practical to keep them in a small tank. They grow to be potentially larger than fancy goldfish.

Mycael 09-29-2007 12:20 PM

Re:

Tested water in shop, all fine Ph good and alkaline is good.

Two fish now both have same stripe but the new one has no red dot.

tank is in CM 40x20x20 i think. I have a pond to put bigger fish in.

Falina 09-29-2007 12:36 PM

Re:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mycael
Tested water in shop, all fine Ph good and alkaline is good.

Two fish now both have same stripe but the new one has no red dot.

tank is in CM 40x20x20 i think. I have a pond to put bigger fish in.

These values, while sometimes useful, are not what JouteiMike meant. Could you post your results for amonia, nitrite and nitrate please? Not just to say that they are fine but the values.

Best if possible to get your own liquid test kit (strips are unreliable) as you will need to test the water on a regular basis anyway. Also, the lfs would potentially tell you your water is fine so that you are not deterred from buying more fish. Often, sad as it is, a lfs will say anything for a sale.

Your tank is approximately 4 US gallons. A single comet requires 35g tank minimum I'm afraid but are really much better off in ponds as, as was already mentioned, they grow much bigger than fancy goldfish and can reach up to a foot in length.

JouteiMike 09-29-2007 03:53 PM

Good words from Falina.

Again, bottom line is the tank is way too small. What are some details on your pond? If it is in okay shape, then I'd suggest putting your comets in there or giving them to the LFS/someone who can properly take care of them.

You can't keep them cooped u in a small tank like that. They will die from poor water quality, fluctuations of parameters, low oxygen content, and heavy levels of stress...in a very short time.