Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   cory "mix-list" (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/cory-mix-list-8478/)

fishfry* 09-26-2007 10:08 AM

cory "mix-list"

Okay so I have a long 20 gallon, and it is heavily planted. I want a mix of about 6-9 corys, possibly a few different species as well. What would be a good "mix-list" of corys? I like the pygmys, albinos, sterbais and pandas. I'm not sure if I will be able to find all these species anyways, but I'm open to suggestions never the less :)

Amphitrite 09-26-2007 10:15 AM

Do you have any other fish in the tank at the moment, and is it fully cycled?

I would stick to a couple of species - as they are better kept in a group of four or five minimum. My favourites are sterbais, but it's all a matter of personal preference. I've never kept pandas, but they are lovely looking fish. :)

fishfry* 09-26-2007 10:19 AM

The only other fish in the tank are 2 kribs, and an otto* for cleanup currently but they might not even be staying in there much longer, the tank is cycled yes.

cullens089 09-26-2007 10:49 AM

i like pandas

Falina 09-26-2007 10:54 AM

I personally wouldn't add cories to a tank with kribs in it. Kribs can be a bit vicious with bottom dwellers. They may not be, but I wouldn't want to take the chance.

jkastner19 09-26-2007 11:30 AM

I like leopard cories (trilineatus).

russp 11-30-2007 12:03 PM

I have a related question about mixing cories. My six month old 10 gallon started with two panda cories but one never seemed to grow and finally died after five months. I found a replacement panda that seemed pretty full grown so his age is unknown. After just a few weeks, he is often laying on his side or back looking dead but will move about for a while when I bring a net towards him. If he doesn't make it, would the existing panda get along with a julii or some other easier to find cory? The other fish are three white clouds and a betta.

MegK 11-30-2007 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Falina
I personally wouldn't add cories to a tank with kribs in it. Kribs can be a bit vicious with bottom dwellers. They may not be, but I wouldn't want to take the chance.

mine were like this.

russp 12-03-2007 08:52 AM

I may have discovered my own answer to this question of mixing cories. One of my pandas died this weekend and I could not locate another so I purchased two spotted cories. The remaining panda spends all it's time next to one of the spotted, the second spotted some times joins them, sometimes stays on his own. I guess the answer is at least some cories will get along fine with other types.

jeaninel 12-03-2007 11:23 AM

I have Leopard (Trilineatus) and Schwartzi corys and they all swim around together. Occasionally they will pair off with their own kind. I think all corys enjoy other cory's company but they are probably happiest with their own variety.