Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   How many rams in 180 gallon? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/how-many-rams-180-gallon-84757/)

Zorse 10-29-2011 03:35 AM

How many rams in 180 gallon?

I have a 180 us gallon tank I would like to add rams to. The store is getting a shipment in this week so I'm wondering how many could I keep in there?

Can I still only keep a pair or could I keep more than a pair? Would more than a pair fight? If I keep more do they all have to be separate pairs? I was hoping to get a group of 6 but I wasn't sure if more than a pair could go in a tank without fighting. I thought that maybe since it's a 180 they would be ok with it? What do you guys think?

Mikaila31 10-29-2011 04:12 AM

kinda depends on dimensions and how much cover there is. I've had 4 or 5 GBR in my 55 gallon before and they were all fine. They were all also siblings though and the tank was very densely planted. Two of them eventually spawned though there was no chance those eggs would survive in that tank lol. They all got along okay for the most part, with the paired male and female being the most dominate.

aunt kymmie 10-29-2011 03:04 PM

I'd have no problems adding six to a tank this size. Of course I say this without knowing the tanks footprint, if it's planted and who the other inhabitants are.

Byron 10-29-2011 03:33 PM

Agree with previous members. Breaking up the substrate to form artificial "territories" for the males is important, and this is best done with bogwood and plants.

Which ever species of Ram you are intending, Mikrogeophagus ramirezi or Mikrogeophagus altispinosus, it is best to have more females than males when you are getting more than just a mated pair [except as noted below]. In both species, the male selects his female and will bond usually permanently. Sometimes a fish can alter of course, none of this is carved in stone, but this is the norm with both species. [Clicking the shaded names will take you to their respective profile.]

If you observe these fish in the store tank, you will often see bonded pairs. I have found M. ramirezi to be quick to bond even when fairly small; M. altispinosus at the early age usually offered for sale might or might not, and distinguishing male/female when young is very difficult if not impossible. But if you see evidence of a bonded pair, make sure you get both fish; males might refuse other females, to the point of killing them. If you do see bonded pairs, you could get 3 or more pairs depending upon the tank layout mentioned previously.

Byron.

Zorse 11-01-2011 08:34 AM

Thanks! I think I'll get 6 and try to get 2 males and 4 females, but the store gets them young so it'll be difficult. The tank isn't planted unfortunately because of the other fish in the tank (but they're my favorite fish) but I have high quality fake plants there are lots of hiding places/possible territories in the tank and view breaks with logs and rocks, tank 6ft x 2ft x 2ft so hopefully they'll do fine in it. If I start to have a problem I can move a pair or the trouble maker(s) to a different planted tank.

Byron 11-01-2011 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorse (Post 880964)
Thanks! I think I'll get 6 and try to get 2 males and 4 females, but the store gets them young so it'll be difficult. The tank isn't planted unfortunately because of the other fish in the tank (but they're my favorite fish) but I have high quality fake plants there are lots of hiding places/possible territories in the tank and view breaks with logs and rocks, tank 6ft x 2ft x 2ft so hopefully they'll do fine in it. If I start to have a problem I can move a pair or the trouble maker(s) to a different planted tank.

Just take the time to observe the fish in the store, several minutes, you may well see bonded pairs.