Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Considering a Sub-Tropical tank... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/considering-sub-tropical-tank-84724/)

Ridewithme38 10-28-2011 10:33 AM

Considering a Sub-Tropical tank...

Since my daughters Goldfish that she won at the fair seems to be the most hardy fish i've ever seen, it doesn't look like i'm going to say to her "I'm sorry sweety, cracka passed away, if you want we can go to the LFS and pick up dozens of Guppy's and Platies to fill your 29 gallon tank"

So i've decided to go another way and make her tank into a sub-tropical tank(goldfish are sub-tropical fish)....From the VERY VERY Limited information i've found online, the temperature of a sub-tropical tank should be kept between 66-72, i'm going to do my best to keep it from 70-72....this of course limits the fish that will thrive at this temperature...

I've found that Platy's don't mind this temperature and Rosy Barb's should be ok, maybe Paradise fish, but with no actual listing of Sub-tropical Fish, i can't find anything else

Do you guys know of any other fish that can thrive at the lower end of Tropical?

TwilightGuy 10-28-2011 04:22 PM

Black Widow Tetra, check the profile on this site... down to 68 F

Mikaila31 10-28-2011 11:36 PM

white clouds

MinaMinaMina 10-29-2011 12:31 AM

Bloodfin Tetra can go mighty cool, 64 to 82 degrees F and are very hardy. There colors do pale in lower temps. They can live to be 10 years. But if your goldfish is a long tail variety, some Bloodfins can be a bit nippy, I hear. That hasn't been my experience, though.

That's fantastic that you got her fish set up in a swank crib! Way cool!

BUT (I'm sorry, there is a "BUT")... Do be careful mixing other fish with Goldfish. Really, I don't recommend it. Goldfish are waste factories! Its crazy how much waste they produce, even relative to size! And with how big they can get, it gets even more crazy. What kind of goldfish is it? Because, if she won it at a fair, its probably the common variety. And if that's the case, and to be honest... I don't think that you'd have room for any other fish in a 29g tank. In fact, your goldfish will out grow your tank. It could end up a foot long!

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news... :-(

Ridewithme38 10-29-2011 12:46 AM

I feel so guilty about hoping the goldfish dies....don't get me wrong, i'm keeping up with 20% water changes twice a week feeding it a mix of flakes and pellets, vacuuming the gravel and watching the water chemistry very closely...So i'm not trying to kill it....but god, its so limiting having a common goldfish in a fishtank...especially when its young and less the 3" long, the 29 gallon tank looks so HUGE and empty with just one little common goldfish in it

I'm considering keeping some rosy barbs and other fish(i REALLY want to try Paradise Fish) in there for about a year, atleast till he gets big enough to eat them, then getting a tank of their own for them or moving the goldfish to a friends pond..he's way too small for the pond right now

MinaMinaMina 10-29-2011 12:53 AM

There might be some snails that could be happy there. And they can be a lot of fun to watch, so that's a kid-friendly addition!

willow 10-29-2011 04:47 AM

is there no chance of you getting another tank ?

diablo13 10-29-2011 08:42 AM

For a common variety, one needs more than a 29 gallon alone. If it wasn't, it could be the only thing In there.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridewithme38 10-29-2011 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diablo13 (Post 878091)
For a common variety, one needs more than a 29 gallon alone. If it wasn't, it could be the only thing In there.
Posted via Mobile Device

This confuses me a little, one needs more then a 29 gallon tank for a 3" fish?? or to keep a common goldfish into adulthood one needs more then a 29 gallon tank....

I'm 6'3 and my daughters mother is about 5'11'' its pretty much a given that my daughter is going to be tall, but at 6 years old, i can still get away with her on a twin size mattress even though eventually, she's going to need a longer bed

Mikaila31 10-29-2011 12:25 PM

keeping it into adult hood. I honestly would see if a pet store would take the goldy. A common can easily reach 12+" if properly cared for. If it was a fancy goldfish, you could maybe get away with 3 of them if they were one of the smaller varieties provided you had a lot of filtration.