Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Cories Breeding Behavior? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/cories-breeding-behavior-84668/)

Bluebirdnanny 10-27-2011 03:23 PM

Cories Breeding Behavior?

Not seeing where the eggs are being deposited though after hanging onto the other fish they disappear and upon coming back to front she is no longer clasping.

It would be cool if they hatched but with platies, mollies and guppies in tank they will prob get eaten before I would find them.

Never had them breed before this batch. 3 julie (four stripe) and 1 swartz.

Bluebirdnanny 10-31-2011 08:01 PM

So they were at it again today and there are eggs on plants, glass here and there all over. I removed the other fish (adult guppy) that I thought were big enough to eat the eggs (or I witnessed trying to) but left their young in the tank. I removed the few eggs that were on the glass and pinch pruned a few of plants with the eggs on and moved them to a container which I filled 3/4 way with water from main tank (also floating some prunings of Elodea in with them).

Anything else I need to do?? This leaves a few in the tank on plants OR hidden where I can't find them and just a couple removed to see what happens in the container.

Anyone want to advise me on what to do next? Or maybe predict which will make it.... removed or in tank remainder? (Yes tank has lots of plants in it. Mostly American Elodea... both planted and left free to root.)

Bluebirdnanny 11-03-2011 05:08 PM

Saw a jerk in main tank and a guppy got it. So watching the pulled container and decided to do a water change on it... something moved jerked on bottom when I moved a plant stem over to spoon out some water!!!!!!
After three hours staring I finally saw a black dot... confirmed at least ONE hatched!!! Now what guys???? Never had cory fry before...

Bluebirdnanny 11-05-2011 10:10 AM

Fry count up to at least three. Added more clipped plants with eggs on this morning after the water exchange between fry/parents tank.

Can't get to town until at least Monday for fry food. I crushed a small sinking cichlid pellet and am adding one or two of crushed pieces of the pellet per day using tweezers. I hope this will work. The one does seem to be getting bigger (can see him move across thin sand layer from parents tank without the magnifier now).

How long can I use the "critter carry cage" (only used to carry fish in past or as hospital) using a fine diffused air hose tip suctioned to side and the live Elodea cuttings the eggs were laid on and some smear of parental tank sand? It sets over adult tank light fixture for warmth to sand substrate.

Anything else I can do until Mondays 1 hour trip to town where fish store is? What size can they be moved back to adult tank without being eaten by my little fancy guppies?

willow 11-05-2011 05:29 PM

hay :) congrats on the hatchlings.
if it's possible to keep them separate then i would until they are well beyond mouth size,
if you have enough caves, drift wood,plants,then that gives them better chances of survival.

willow 11-05-2011 06:43 PM

:)

Bluebirdnanny 11-05-2011 06:53 PM

Count up to 6 and 6 more eggs moved today that had the black spot showing fertilization!!

Yes willow the parent tank is well planted but a community with fancy guppies waiting to grow enough for store to take them. Am moving what I can as I see them by clipping the elodea below the eggs and moving the plant trimming to float/sink near fine air diffuser soon will have a 10 gallon cleaned out and will move them there with low water and the diffuser adding more as they grow. Then transfer to a 30 if my friend ever gets it to me.

Wish me continued success. Some are hopping but the largest is swimming.

I am doing the parent/fry water exchange 2 times a day. Late morning (following tweezer piece of crushed pellet) and evening (following a tiny dot of egg yolk feed).

willow 11-06-2011 03:59 AM

mine get eaten as soon as they are on the glass :-(
in all my years i have only had a couple survive to wrigglers,i think completely my own fault,
and the one that is happily swimming with the grown ups was a complete fluke that it ever survived.
the gravel that it was in was in the garden in a bucket for a number of days as i was gutting
the big tank,then i had gravel over so i put it into a small tank in case i ever managed to get some eggs
and i noticed him wriggling around the bottom :shock:

i wish you every success indeed and do please keep posting on your progress :-D

christina21maria 11-14-2011 01:23 AM

Thanks for This Nice Info !

Bluebirdnanny 11-19-2011 05:35 PM

Cory fry update!

Udates in a thread called watching hatching

I have been able to observe at least 12 older ones and the eggs I transfered to glass or fell on gravel seem to have hatched..... one as I watched it!!!!

So I should have 16 or more fry in the partly filled 10 gallon. They are soooooo tiny! But the oldest I can now see with my glasses alone..... once I locate them that is. But after I find and focus my eyes..... I can watch them and then I see little slivers jerk which I assume are the new hatchlings!!!!