Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   2 or 5 Scalare Angelfish? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/2-5-scalare-angelfish-84648/)

bigfish93 10-27-2011 10:26 AM

2 or 5 Scalare Angelfish?

I am going to be setting up a SA Biotpe 75 gallon aquarium soon. I am going to stock it with Scalare Angelfish, but I am not sure how many to add. In the profiles it says they prefere to be in a mated pair or in a group of at least 5. The tank will also be stocked with 13 Rummynose Tetra and 3 Bristlenose Pleco. I don't want a crowded tank but I also don't want the angelfish to get aggressive. So would 2 or 5 be better?

Boredomb 10-27-2011 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfish93 (Post 876538)
I am going to be setting up a SA Biotpe 75 gallon aquarium soon. I am going to stock it with Scalare Angelfish, but I am not sure how many to add. In the profiles it says they prefere to be in a mated pair or in a group of at least 5. The tank will also be stocked with 13 Rummynose Tetra and 3 Bristlenose Pleco. I don't want a crowded tank but I also don't want the angelfish to get aggressive. So would 2 or 5 be better?

Unless you can find a mated pair I would go with 5. They are social and need to be in groups with the exception of a mated pair during breeding.

Byron 10-27-2011 01:45 PM

Agree with Boredomb.

Angels can be problematic. Some males are highly aggressive--or can become so due to various environmental factors--others more docile. But one must remember that a cichlid is still a cichlid.

And a pair spawning can be rough customers. And like all cichlids, they will spawn, often.

Edit: Make sure if you get 5 that you get them at the same time, and they are relatively the same age (size).

MinaMinaMina 10-27-2011 02:33 PM

If it helps your selection in your group of 5, I've found that koi and black are the most aggressive. I don't know if there's a scientific basis for this, but I know other people have found this to be true, also. I think I remember that you said you're going to plant this tank, which is awesome. With a group of 5 Angels in the past, it worked for me to make sure that I had two large bunches of plants/driftwood that divided the tank into thirds. Does that make sense? Its the old breaking sight-lines routine, but this particular configuration worked to mitigate aggression while being pleasing to the eye. Angels are my very favoritest, you're gonna love 'em!

bigfish93 10-27-2011 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinaMinaMina (Post 876696)
If it helps your selection in your group of 5, I've found that koi and black are the most aggressive. I don't know if there's a scientific basis for this, but I know other people have found this to be true, also. I think I remember that you said you're going to plant this tank, which is awesome. With a group of 5 Angels in the past, it worked for me to make sure that I had two large bunches of plants/driftwood that divided the tank into thirds. Does that make sense? Its the old breaking sight-lines routine, but this particular configuration worked to mitigate aggression while being pleasing to the eye. Angels are my very favoritest, you're gonna love 'em!

Thanks for the help guys. I will get 5. Mina that works out great because my favorite is the silver one with the black stripes. I was also planning on dividing the tank in thirds with a big piece of driftwood and some swords. Sounds like everything is fitting together perfectly (knock on wood).