Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   14 usgal Biocube suggestions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/14-usgal-biocube-suggestions-8462/)

Jen_S 09-25-2007 01:17 PM

14 usgal Biocube suggestions

Well my plan to make my Biocube a puffer tank has fallen through. I lost my dwarf puffer on Friday. I found him when I cleaned on Sat. :( I had tons of plants in there and he didn't comeout when I fed on Fri. I did water changes Sat and tested the water on Sun. I decided to move my blue ram into this tank because the angels and pair of Bollivian rams were doing a lot of chasing.
The blue ram seems happy in the tank. What I am looking for are suggestions for companion fish. I may purchase a second blue ram but I am undecided as the lfs only has very small rams. If they grow out in the tank, I may be able to sex everyone and then get a m/f pair succesfully. I currently have 4 young guppies and 4 otos in the tank. The guppies can be moved to another tank but the otos are needed because the lights grow algae :)
I think I would like a school of some kind but the fish need to stay small (I was thinking possibly harliquin rasboras as I can get those at the lfs) as the tank is small. I can skip fish like corycats but are there any other bottom feeders that stay small and would get eaten. I think most shrimps might get eaten by the rams. Also smails aren't a good option as I had a gold snail in there and it kept climbing into the built in filter.
I am open to suggestions but am really looking for easy to find fish :)

Fat_Fender_40 09-25-2007 05:47 PM

What kind of Puffer did you have? Some only live in brackish water conditions and die when no salt is added to the tank.

Unless your cichlids are really aggressive. A cory in the tank will be fine. But since you do have guppies, I don't think he is that aggressive. And cories a perfect scavangers for left over food and help keep a tank cleaner than without one.

Jen_S 09-25-2007 06:00 PM

Dwarf puffer is what I had and they are the only puffer to be completely freshwater :) I did research that particular fish before buying because I thought all puffers were brackish or saltwater ;)
The blue ram is a very peaceful South American cichlid. THe reason I plan to stay away from cories is that I have never seen pygmy cories around here and other species get to be at least 2 inches and prefer to school. I actually only have cories in my community tank and need to buy more as I only have 3 at the moment.

Falina 09-25-2007 07:08 PM

I wouldn't suggest another ram because the tank is a bit small. Rams are still cics so can be agressive and this agrresion would be worse in a smaller tank.

Rams can be funny with bottom dwellers so you're right not to add the shrimp IMHO. I persoanlly would leave the ram as the only bottom dweller.

Rasboras like you mentioned should be fine, as would a school of celestial pearl danios perhaps? Or any small tetra like neon, carnidal glolight etc.

Good luck with your tank. :)

Jen_S 09-25-2007 07:13 PM

No more blue rams even if I was able to do a m/f pair? If so just fine :)
I can't find the celestial pearl danios (those are the galaxy rasboras too aren't they?) around here and the other 3 times, I've asked the lfs about special ordering, they haven't followed through and one was 3 months ago.
Thanks for the input :)

Lupin 09-25-2007 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jen_S

They will be fine as a pair or singly.

Jen_S 09-25-2007 07:27 PM

Thanks Lupin. I will definaelty be waiting though because they are still too small to tell if m/f.

leifthebunny 09-25-2007 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jen_S

They will be fine as a pair or singly.

After my recent experiences, I'd recommend keeping the ram on it's own, but I've lost a number of rams due to "lover" quarrels. YMMV (Your Milage May Vary).

Jen_S 09-25-2007 10:33 PM

Well I swung by the lfs on the way home this evening and my son picked out 4 glolight tetras for the schooling fish. Thanks to all for the help :)