Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   My oscar's new tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/my-oscars-new-tank-84581/)

OscarLoverJim 10-26-2011 06:50 AM

My oscar's new tank

1 Attachment(s)
I finally got my oscar a larger tank. I raised hir from an inch long baby to hir her present 1 year 10 month 12" glory in my old 55 until yesterday when we purchased a 75 wide from our LFS; an independent establishment just recently moved to a bigger nicer place so I wanted to continue my patronage and support their success :lol:.

I already had adequate filtration, even for the greater amount of water, so I switched all my old filters to the new tank as quickly as possible to reduce O2 starvation to the aerobic bacteria. Looks like everything's OK as this morning my tank's clear as crystal. I continue to run a bare bottom but my 55's was painted and now my oscar keeps trying to swim down through the bottom glass to check out the filters or whatever s/he thinks s/he's trying to do so I may have to cover the bottom somehow.

Byron 10-26-2011 12:07 PM

I would add a substrate; something as simple as a sprinkling of dark gravel that just covers the glass. Fish are not expecting to see reflections of themselves in the substrate, and this i would suspect is very un-nerving.

OscarLoverJim 10-26-2011 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 875514)
I would add a substrate; something as simple as a sprinkling of dark gravel that just covers the glass. Fish are not expecting to see reflections of themselves in the substrate, and this i would suspect is very un-nerving.

{sings like Mic Jagger} :guitarist: 'I see a tank bottom and I'm going to paint it bla-ack'

Got some paint and I'm going to paint the underside of the tank black.

AbbeysDad 10-27-2011 07:48 AM

Gotta tear it all back down to paint the bottom black (something I'd never do). Why not add a thin layer of gravel or sand to the bottom?...it would be much more natural for the fish.
Btw, just curious...what is up on the wall behind your tank?

OscarLoverJim 10-27-2011 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbbeysDad (Post 876491)
Gotta tear it all back down to paint the bottom black (something I'd never do). Why not add a thin layer of gravel or sand to the bottom?...it would be much more natural for the fish.
Btw, just curious...what is up on the wall behind your tank?

No I've done it before, I use kids' glass paint...doesn't have to be permanent.

Regarding the wall behind my tank I guess you'd have to be more specific as to what you're asking about.

AbbeysDad 10-27-2011 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OscarLoverJim (Post 876499)
Regarding the wall behind my tank I guess you'd have to be more specific as to what you're asking about.

More specific? the ONLY two things hanging on the wall behind the tank. Look like some kindof controls - was curious what they were.

OscarLoverJim 10-27-2011 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbbeysDad (Post 876591)
More specific? the ONLY two things hanging on the wall behind the tank. Look like some kindof controls - was curious what they were.

Sorry I think I miss comprehended what you wrote, thought it was "what's up with..." instead of what it actually was..."What is up".

Yes they are the controls to my two ViaAqua metal rod heaters.

OscarLoverJim 11-19-2011 05:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 875514)

OK well I decided to go ahead and run a thin layer of black gravel on the bottom, it's fairly easy to keep clean with the Python.

Byron 11-19-2011 07:16 PM

Looks good; and I'd bet Oscar is liking it too.:-D

Calmwaters 11-19-2011 07:21 PM

Looks much better! He/she looks like a happy fish!