Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Has White Spot Killed them all? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/has-white-spot-killed-them-all-8458/)

elle88 09-25-2007 09:41 AM

Has White Spot Killed them all?

Hello can anybody help??
I live a little isolated in the UK and have a small 75L/20US gallon tank. Last Thursday I noticed a few white spots on 1 of my cardinal tetras So I traveled and purchased an Intrapet white spot treatment. I followed the instrutions adding 7ml to my tank. The fish did get a little worse but on Sunday all 5 tetras, 3 pentazonna barbs and 2 Cherry barbs all died. I continued to follow instrutions adding a second dose on day 4. Today my 2 Blue Rams are covered in spots, but are alive, even though until now they had shown no sign of illness. I also have 2 Panda corrys who have slowed to a crawl and are very pale in colour.
I did remove the carbon filters before adding any treatment and have 0 am 0 nitrites 30 nitrates 7.5 PH and Gh of 17. Never had any previous problems with fish disease. :cry:
Can anybody please help me :(

Lupin 09-25-2007 11:52 PM

Welcome to Fishforum.com, Elle.:wave:

Your fish may not have been able to resist the ich well. It will be a good idea to provide them plenty of foods to be able to obtain vitamins allowing them to resist the ich while you try to battle them with the medications. A lot of fish are sensitive to the medicines. What is the temperature right now?

elle88 09-26-2007 09:47 AM

Hello Lupin
Thanks for the reply.
Temp at 79. The remaining don't seem to be eating much. The corys are very pale but no spots at all. I'm sure 1 of them is going to die soon. The 2 blue rams are fine and are behaving normally but they are getting more and more spots even though I have treated the tank twice now?? All others are now dead. :(

Lupin 09-26-2007 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle88
Hello Lupin
Thanks for the reply.
Temp at 79. The remaining don't seem to be eating much. The corys are very pale but no spots at all. I'm sure 1 of them is going to die soon. The 2 blue rams are fine and are behaving normally but they are getting more and more spots even though I have treated the tank twice now?? All others are now dead. :(

White spots proliferate quite a lot in the middle of the treatment course. If you can increase the temp to above 80 or as much as your other fish can tolerate, the ich will be forced to speed up their lifecycle allowing the medicine to destroy the free-swimming parasites. Ich are very vulnerable at free-swimming stage where they are not protected under the epidermis of the fish.

Be sure to use airpumps to increase oxygen level as the rising temperature can lower the oxygen level. Your fish should be able to eat a lot as their metabolism increases due to the rising temperature. Take advantage of that and try to use various foods that you can possible provide.

Good luck.

elle88 09-27-2007 12:36 PM

Thanks again.
Got home from work to find the first cory has died. The blue rams are fairly covered now but don't seem to be acting strangely. I have increased the temperature to 80 and will take up to 84 over the next couple of days. The second cory has no spots at all and seems ok for now.
My fingers are very crossed for them.