Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   snails calcium deficient? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/snails-calcium-deficient-84576/)

Kaddock 10-26-2011 03:35 AM

snails calcium deficient?

My maylasian trumpet snail shells look pretty awful, how can I supplement their diet to change this? My assassin snails seem ok, but some of the older ones seem to have some shell issues perhaps. Any ideas?

:shock:

1077 10-26-2011 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaddock (Post 875314)
My maylasian trumpet snail shells look pretty awful, how can I supplement their diet to change this? My assassin snails seem ok, but some of the older ones seem to have some shell issues perhaps. Any ideas?

:shock:

Shrimp,crab,or lobster foods if you can find em might help by supplying some calcium.
In hard water,, snails can use calcium from source water but in softer water's, the shells can erode, turn white in my expierience.

k19smith 11-02-2011 05:57 PM

You can take a piece of cuddle bone and bury it in the substrate, you can get cuddle bone at any pet store it's for birds.

Kaddock 11-02-2011 09:13 PM

Thanks!

Pufferfish22 11-03-2011 07:32 AM

Hi there, it's not cuddle bone it's cuttle fish that you can but for birds and use for snails! Sounds nice though a cuddle bone! :-)

MinaMinaMina 11-03-2011 10:08 AM

Won't the cuttlebone increase the pH over time because it is made up of aragonite, which is a carbonate mineral? The pH increase may be good for your snails, but it may be devastating for your fish. I would be wary of using cuttlebone for this reason, at the very least. I, personally, would not use it.

patadams66 11-03-2011 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k19smith (Post 882481)
You can take a piece of cuddle bone and bury it in the substrate, you can get cuddle bone at any pet store it's for birds.

im not sure if i was looking at the same thing as your talking about but i went to the pet store last night and cuddle bone was 25% calcium and 75% salt... at least what i was looking at.

just another heads up.

MinaMinaMina 11-03-2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patadams66 (Post 883079)
... 25% calcium and 75% salt...

Yep, that sure seems like it would royally screw up an aquarium! Wow!

k19smith 11-06-2011 11:44 PM

Misspell cuddle bone lol, I use cuttlebone in all of my tanks I break it off into pieces I cannot say I see any difference in ph maybe if you were placing large amounts into a tank possibly google cuttlebone for fish and snails there are tons and tons of people that do this. I put maybe 1/4 to a 1/2 piece into each tank 10g and up. I have no idea on the ingredients in mine I buy it at pet supplies plus they have a bin where you bag your own.

Another option for calcium is to place clean oyster shells into your tank or filter.