Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Coral and Reef Creatures (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/)
-   -   Aiptasia...Should I care? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/aiptasia-should-i-care-84558/)

dfbiggs 10-25-2011 10:40 PM

Aiptasia...Should I care?
 
I'm not trying to have a reef tank here..I have some pretty aiptasia that came in on my live rock and I think its beautiful. Other than stinging corals and taking over should I have any concerns when it comes to fish? Can they hurt my fish? This is in my puffer & eel tank...I do have some Eagle Eye Zoanthids in here also. I know, can it be, puffers and zoanthids can coexist? :) If it can sting my puffers then that's probably why I caught them making weird facial expressions the other day..cracked me up..but I don't want them to get hurt.

Reefing Madness 10-25-2011 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfbiggs (Post 875098)
I'm not trying to have a reef tank here..I have some pretty aiptasia that came in on my live rock and I think its beautiful. Other than stinging corals and taking over should I have any concerns when it comes to fish? Can they hurt my fish? This is in my puffer & eel tank...I do have some Eagle Eye Zoanthids in here also. I know, can it be, puffers and zoanthids can coexist? :) If it can sting my puffers then that's probably why I caught them making weird facial expressions the other day..cracked me up..but I don't want them to get hurt.

Wouldn't worry about the fish. The Zoos on the other hand may be stung in the future. No reason to get rid of them if you don't want to, some of them have great coloring, like Mojano.

dfbiggs 10-26-2011 12:26 PM

Good...I'll keep an eye out to see if they start to grow near my zoos. And the other eye out for the puffers eating the zoos..:)

jbonez 11-01-2011 09:15 PM

Fish will be fine any coral the aiptasia will sting

dfbiggs 11-02-2011 11:40 AM

Okay thanks...will it sting me? I am wondering now if my hands and arms sting from the SW or I may have stinging cells on me.

jbonez 11-02-2011 11:44 AM

yes it will sting you be careful im a memeber of reef central also i seen a picture of a guy who was stung it wasnt pretty

dfbiggs 11-02-2011 11:52 AM

It's that bad?!!...I figured it would be just like a jellyfish sting...and I have been stung pretty bad and it doesn't' bother me...you could see every tentacle line burnt in my skin. Now I am curious to touch one.:) Is this one of those creatures that gives you other side effects besides the sting?..like a Man 0'war?

Reefing Madness 11-02-2011 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfbiggs (Post 882181)
It's that bad?!!...I figured it would be just like a jellyfish sting...and I have been stung pretty bad and it doesn't' bother me...you could see every tentacle line burnt in my skin. Now I am curious to touch one.:) Is this one of those creatures that gives you other side effects besides the sting?..like a Man 0'war?

Unless your alergic to the sting, your not even going to feel it.

dfbiggs 11-03-2011 12:28 PM

Yeah I figured with how many times I have grabbed my rock without looking for them I would have touched them. I probably passed it off as the stinging saltwater. Thanks.

Reefing Madness 11-03-2011 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfbiggs (Post 883125)
Yeah I figured with how many times I have grabbed my rock without looking for them I would have touched them. I probably passed it off as the stinging saltwater. Thanks.

:thumbsup:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2