Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   My unexpected friends.. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/my-unexpected-friends-84549/)

Aymbar 10-25-2011 11:00 PM

My unexpected friends..

So, after getting my 55g tank, around a year ago..
It was operating for six months before I noticed a new little friend, a mystery snail. At first I was dreading this. What did it mean? How did he get there? What was going on. But, he became a fast friend, greeting me at the tank for our daily feeding, hitching a ride on the occasional passing fish, and slowly growing in size.
Well, around 2 months after that, a friend of mine asked me where I got the new gravel from. I was dumbfounded, what new gravel? I hadn't changed that tanks scene since it first started! (Would love to, am just too short to reach the bottom!)
Went and stared, and noticed there were around twenty little snails. Not of the same species, either. They were so beautiful, too! So, some researching later.. They are called Malaysian Trumpet Snails.. And everything I read talked about killing them, again, dumbfounded! A week goes by, I now have around 200 snails, and my curiosity for them didn't disappear...
My Mystery Snail recently passed away, it was an unexpected moment that actually broke my heart.
I still have so many Malaysian Trumpet Snails though, and oh, they are helpful! Since they have ventured into my tank, I haven't had to clean the gravel as often, and my pleco really enjoys knocking them off of the tank walls.. They are amusing to watch plastered on the tank walls as I turn my light on for amusement..
So, I have come to ask myself, why so much hate for the helpful little guys?
My friend took some home to her aquarium, she's in love with them, too.

Don't get me wrong.. When I start up my soon-to-be puffer tank, they might make a trip in there every now and again as a snack.. But, I don't see any reason to hate. I have come to find them to be welcomed guests, and have even deterred from some adjustments to keep them happy.

k19smith 10-26-2011 02:19 AM

I wish more people would come to like the MTS they are very helpful, I have them in all of my tanks and wish I had 100's more. MTS are extremely beneficial, they seem to becoming more popular slowly.

Aymbar 10-26-2011 02:21 AM

I believe so! When I first saw them I became aw-struck. They have slowly made their way into my other tanks, a long with my other 'fish fanatic' friends. I have yet to find a downside to them.

thekoimaiden 10-26-2011 01:24 PM

I love snails, too! I wish I could keep more in my goldfish tank, but they seem to see snails as a tasty snack. All of my tanks have snails in them. Mostly ones I've gathered from my pond.

Romad 10-27-2011 07:34 AM

I think the problem that people have with them is if they become too many in numbers. You can keep them in check by not overfeeding the tank.

I went and bought 6 of them about a year ago and I know there are hundreds of them now in my 75 gallon. I'm a fan too!

Aymbar 10-27-2011 12:24 PM

I have a lot in my 55g.. They entertain me everyday, the pleco enjoys wiping them off the side, haha.
I have a couple in my goldfish tank, I think my Goldfish are too lazy to try to eat them, lol.
I'm glad there are more people that are fans of the little guys, I would try to talk about them with some of the people I pet in the fish community before, and they gave me tips on killing them. (No way!)

Romad 10-27-2011 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aymbar (Post 876559)
I have a lot in my 55g.. They entertain me everyday, the pleco enjoys wiping them off the side, haha.
I have a couple in my goldfish tank, I think my Goldfish are too lazy to try to eat them, lol.
I'm glad there are more people that are fans of the little guys, I would try to talk about them with some of the people I pet in the fish community before, and they gave me tips on killing them. (No way!)

Well they're telling you that because you're trying to pet them LOL :lol: