Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Fat Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/fat-fish-84524/)

downerbeautiful 10-25-2011 04:08 PM

Fat Fish

In my tank are
1 Angel Fish
2 Female Bettas
1 Three-spot Gourami
2 Rainbow Sharks
2 Mystery Snails

I keep one Tetra vacation feeder in the tank. No algae grows (!)

I feed them Top Fin color enhancing tropical flakes, Tetra algae wafers, and Aquarian bottom feeder pellets twice a day. There's also a moss ball. My fish don't want for food. Between what I feed them and their vacation feeder, they gets lots of food - probably overfed.

YET if you watched them at feeding time, you'd swear I starve these little piggies (primarily betta and gourami). I realize that three of my fish are the Eric Cartmans of the fish world, but at what point is too much food just that? If I don't feed them as much as I do for flakes, they won't let any drop for my bottom feeders. When I do drop the algae wafers and sinking pellets, the three attack them before the angel, rainbows, or snails get to them - and then they fight over the food and devour it in no time at all. Everyone seems relatively healthy and content; my water parameters are good (!) but my bettas especially are [capital] F-A-T!!!

Any ideas?

ghbofurban 10-25-2011 05:43 PM

If everyone seems relatively healthy, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Feeding at different times (especially at night, when some of the fish are asleep) can help to get the food to the slower fish.

In the case of the bettas being fat, it's entirely possible that they're just stuffed with eggs.

downerbeautiful 10-25-2011 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghbofurban (Post 874652)
If everyone seems relatively healthy, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Feeding at different times (especially at night, when some of the fish are asleep) can help to get the food to the slower fish.

In the case of the bettas being fat, it's entirely possible that they're just stuffed with eggs.

I considered the eggs thing, but in that case they've put on a lot of eggs in the last week, and they were pretty stuffed before. They just get rounder, haha!

At night everyone seems pretty asleep. I've tried feeding at night because I keep irregular hours; the food just sinks and the fish bump their noses onto the glass. Will the bottom feeders get better pick of the food in the morning if I feed them later at night/super early in the morning when the falling food would escape my top feeders?

ghbofurban 10-25-2011 06:39 PM

Definitely. If the food hits the bottom without being noticed by your other fish, it's not very often they'll go looking around on the bottom for it before your bottom feeders get to it.

Jbrofish8 10-26-2011 01:20 PM

Thats a lot of food, imo.

I'd watch your betta's, if they start "pine coning" then you have some problems. They may be bloated or have dropsy. They may just be fat, but keep a close eye on them.

I don't think you need the vacation feeder.. the fish will eat and eat and eat.

Your fish are not going to starve. I feed my fish once a day and fast them one day a week and they are all healthy and fine.

downerbeautiful 10-26-2011 01:30 PM

What is "pine coning?" When I get home I can post a picture of them. If dropsy affects behavior then they don't have it. They're as vivacious as ever. I have, though, considered fasting days, especially on behalf of my three fatties. I worry, though, for my five bottom feeders because fatties get to the food and don't leave much/any to drop, hence the vacation feeder.

Jbrofish8 10-26-2011 01:35 PM

New HM Plakat, hole in fin? - Page 2

Have a look at this thread! (pg 2)

downerbeautiful 10-26-2011 01:39 PM

When I looked at my fishes yesterday, the scales were all flush, not sticking out as they are in the photographs in the link you shared.

They might need to swim more, haha... or release some eggs. I'll double check when I get home.

downerbeautiful 10-26-2011 06:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I took some pictures and these are the best I've found. The gourami's just a pig, but I think s/he looks healthy enough. The plumpness of the female bettas, is that natural? It's something I've noticed really grow over the past week or so. It's nothing for me to cut back on feedings if they are just fat.