Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   !! Help !! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/help-84522/)

soffii2512 10-25-2011 03:41 PM

!! Help !!

Hi Guys,

i need some serious help!!!
i bought 2 female balloon molly's and a male but one of the females just stays in a corner swims a second then retreats back :/

i dont know how to tell if she is sick or pregnant. as she was in with male balloon mollys.

PLEASE HELP ME!!

ghbofurban 10-25-2011 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soffii2512 (Post 874521)
Hi Guys,

i need some serious help!!!
i bought 2 female balloon molly's and a male but one of the females just stays in a corner swims a second then retreats back :/

i dont know how to tell if she is sick or pregnant. as she was in with male balloon mollys.

PLEASE HELP ME!!

There are a few things I would ask here.

1. Did you just add them to the tank?
2. How are the water parameters?
3. What size is the tank?
4. What else is in the tank?

I can't really give a good guess as to what's wrong until I know these answers.

soffii2512 10-25-2011 06:05 PM

hi hun ...

1. Did you just add them to the tank? no left them 20-30mins in the bag floating in top of tank.
2. How are the water parameters? << sorry dont understand :|
3. What size is the tank? length= 2ft ... width=1ft ... height= 1.5ft
4. What else is in the tank? 3 neons, 4 female guppys giving birth in birthing net, 2 male guppys, 1 male sailfin molly and 2 females, a loach, and one male and one female balloon molly ( was another female but she died about 10 mins ago :-(

ghbofurban 10-25-2011 06:37 PM

For number 1, I meant recently as in today, yesterday, a week ago, etc.

For number 2, I'm talking your temperature, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

For number 3, your tank only comes out to about 25 gallons, which leads to a potential problem with

Number 4, your tank sounds overstocked.

My guess is that your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate are probably off the charts, and causing bad water conditions that are toxic to the fish. I'd suggest getting yourself a kit to test for these, and if you have ANY ammonia/nitrite, you need to do an immediate water change. Don't purchase anymore fish for the time being, and realize that it's very possible you may have more casualties because of these conditions.

Pisces47 10-26-2011 12:40 AM

Yep, I agree with ghbofurban, you have far too many fish in such a small tank and that's what is ruining the water parameters and therefore killing the fish. It's a bit like having 2 people in a closed room and then 6 more people enter the room, the air soon becomes stale and not very pleasant at all!!
What sort of filter are you using, what temperature is the water?

Pisces47 10-26-2011 12:54 AM

Just did my own calculation of the volume in the tank and I get a total of approx 12 gallons, not 25 gallons as previously mentioned......way too small for this amount of fish.

soffii2512 10-26-2011 01:47 PM

most of them are young from my fish which i cant find homes for what do i do and i will get another tank soon so i can minimise the risks ... and i will buy a tester kit :)

Pisces47 10-26-2011 10:34 PM

Just getting another, larger tank will solve most of your problems in one go, and if you do get one, make sure it is the largest you can possibly afford, including all the bibs and bobs that go with it, like filter, heater, gravel, etc.
Set it up at home and run it for a week without putting any fish in it (that's the hard bit), this period will allow the water to age and give you time to shove your hand in and re-arrange stuff without giving the fish a heart attack.
Keep your current tank as a quarantine and/or fry tank.