Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   My water has changed appearance! Help (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/my-water-has-changed-appearance-help-84508/)

broujos 10-25-2011 11:34 AM

My water has changed appearance! Help

i have a bgkf a chinese algae eater and 2 angelifshes in a planted 50 gallon tank! 1 week ago the water has started to being blur, and a strange liquid like "white oil" is on its surface... does anyone knows what is happening? :(... thanks!

Boredomb 10-25-2011 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broujos (Post 874352)
i have a bgkf a chinese algae eater and 2 angelifshes in a planted 50 gallon tank! 1 week ago the water has started to being blur, and a strange liquid like "white oil" is on its surface... does anyone knows what is happening? :(... thanks!

When you say blurry is that from looking through the top of the tank or from the front of the tank?

Romad 10-25-2011 12:24 PM

I'm not familiar with the type of filter you are using but if you can create some agitation on the surface of the water, that should take care of it.

Welcome to TFK :wave:

broujos 10-25-2011 01:58 PM

hm... i did it but there wasnt any difference (sorry, i dont the best english)! the water is blurry when i look it through the glasses (in front of) and the white oil appears when i look it from above!! do you know what is happening? thanks

Byron 10-25-2011 02:05 PM

The surface film is a protein scum. It is caused by organics, and can occur from time to time. I see it minimally in a couple of my tanks, never in others. Regular partial water changes of 50% weekly, good filtration, not overfeeding, and not overloading the fish load all work to keep it minimal or non-existent. When you do the water change, invert the siphon and remove it; this will at least keep it less. Water movement at the surface also helps to keep it from forming, the filter flow directed across the surface, or with a surface skimmer attachment to the filter, depending upon the type, will all help too.

As for the cloudiness, that is likely a bacterial bloom. Same "treatments" as those mentioned above. Plus good vacuuming of the substrate during water changes (not around plants though).

Byron.

broujos 10-25-2011 02:10 PM

thank you really much!!! :)) !!! that means that i dont need any medicine?

Byron 10-25-2011 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broujos (Post 874445)
thank you really much!!! :)) !!! that means that i dont need any medicine?

Correct, no medications or chemicals will help this, only make it even worse.

broujos 10-26-2011 01:54 PM

ok!! thanks :)