Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   How can I dim the light going into my tank?! Dark Plastic strips? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/how-can-i-dim-light-going-84454/)

JordynMurdock 10-24-2011 07:29 PM

How can I dim the light going into my tank?! Dark Plastic strips?

I want to dim the light that is going into my tank from the fluorescent light. I also DO NOT want to use floating plants. I already tried this and it didn't turn out too well. The tetras in my tank were no longer eating from the surface and were becoming lethargic. I wan't to find an alternative to floating plants. I was thinking about some sort of dark plastic to put between the lamp and the glass part of the hood. Has anyone done this before? The only thing I would be worried about is the plastic melting. Is there any dark partial that I could put between the light and the glass that would not be a fire hazard or anything?!

Ridewithme38 10-24-2011 07:50 PM

i'd suggest car tint, but i don't know how that would work with the heat of florescent lights...should be fine with LED's

JordynMurdock 10-24-2011 07:57 PM

I saw the car tint thing online too. Like paint a little on the top of the glass below the light..

Also, does the fluorescent light put off a lot of heat? I was reading online elsewhere and someone said that put cardboard between the light and the glass without any hazards. I don't know if I want to trust that. Does anyone know if it is safe to put cardboard or dark construction paper beneath the fluorescent light and above the glass?

WisFish 10-24-2011 08:37 PM

I don't know about the heat. I'd be more concerned about the change in the type of light that gets through the plastic. Would it still be the same color (Kelvin) as it started out being? It may affect the plant growth.

zof 10-24-2011 09:11 PM

I'd say go with some paint, paint 1" strip on the glass followed by 1" of no paint and do it all the way down the glass, let it dry and check it out, still too much light add more paint, not enough light scrape some away, also a good way to highlight parts of the tank with more light then others.

DKRST 10-24-2011 09:19 PM

You can layer aluminum window screen material. Each layer cuts about 40% of the intensity. Add as many layers as you need, no melting issue or fire hazard. Would be a annoying to cut, but can be cut with scissors.

JordynMurdock 10-25-2011 07:29 PM

update: I actually went to my local auto shop and purchased a long roll of window tint. It is 20% tint and works like a charm! I cut out a 4" by ~28" piece of it and laid it above my glass and below the lamp. Brought down the light quite a bit and the fish seem to like it. They come out more now while the light is on. Also, whoever said something about affecting the plant growth, I don't have live plants...