Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   magnetize water in order to get bigger fish ? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/magnetize-water-order-get-bigger-fish-84412/)

Fishes 10-24-2011 03:58 AM

magnetize water in order to get bigger fish ?

hey guys, a relative asked me to find for him here in europe or why not in another place a device that magnetizes water, kinda makes it thicker so that the fish get fatter
excuse my ignorance but he tried to explain it the easy way to me
he googled and i googled, i wonder where to find this stuff ? would love some suggestions and links
thankful in advance

DKRST 10-24-2011 11:01 AM

My Ph.D is in Wildlife & Fisheries Sciences, and this is an easy question to answer.
1) magnetic fields have NO impact on enhanced growth of a vertebrate organism, that I am aware of.
2) I could find no documented studies supporting any relationship between magnetic fields and fish growth.
3) there have been studies showing that a strong magnetic field slows human cell growth rates...

That's probably why you could not find anything for sale...
Unfortunately, it seems that folks will believe all sorts of stuff, even though there is no scientific basis for the belief.

Welcome to the forum!

Fishes 10-25-2011 01:03 AM

Thanks for your answer, i understand what you said, but apparently some researchers and labs claim this is working, so i might disagree with you a bit and keep looking, we want to try this device once.

DKRST 10-25-2011 08:04 AM

Not trying to be contrary, and if it works for you, great.
Product claims are fine, but where is the published, and verified, data?
Then, it's science. Otherwise, it's unfounded opinion.
Beware of "pesudoscience". That's basically the old "snake-oil salesman" routine wrapped up in scientific-sounding terms.
Sometimes, the labs and researchers endorsing the products are the company's own. I don't know if that's the case here, but buyer beware.

Have you heard of the dihydrogen monoxide issue? It kill thousands of people every year! Sounds horrible, but it's just water :-).

zof 10-25-2011 02:34 PM

Yup snake oil again, kind of like those magnetic bracelets they still sell at the malls, complete utter crap, but they will say they have done studies on them and they actually work, when you try and look for an accredited study they are no where to be found, it was just some people asking people if they felt better when wearing them and they yes in the same percentage you find with placebo.

Magnetic fields are more likely to harm some species of fish due their sensitivity to the fields that they use for different reasons.

Until you see a peer reviewed study followed by 2 more peer reviewed study then I would just ignore it.

mileshs95 11-13-2011 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKRST (Post 874235)
Not trying to be contrary, and if it works for you, great.
Product claims are fine, but where is the published, and verified, data?
Then, it's science. Otherwise, it's unfounded opinion.
Beware of "pesudoscience". That's basically the old "snake-oil salesman" routine wrapped up in scientific-sounding terms.
Sometimes, the labs and researchers endorsing the products are the company's own. I don't know if that's the case here, but buyer beware.

Have you heard of the dihydrogen monoxide issue? It kill thousands of people every year! Sounds horrible, but it's just water :-).

ah, the old dihydrogen monoxide joke hehe never gets old

TwilightGuy 11-13-2011 03:05 PM

I have just one comment on the original question:

PT Barnum was right.

krish 11-13-2011 07:33 PM

No offense, but...

That's crazy talk! There is no way a magnetic field can help fish grow more. Plus, I don't even think you can magnetize non-metals! Water isn't even ferrous (can be magnetized). So, I don't think you can trust whoever told you this. Does Earth's magnetic field make you bigger? :sarcastic: No... Any ways, just trust your instincts, and don't buy worthless poop, it'll be a waste

TwilightGuy 11-13-2011 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krish (Post 892730)
...and don't buy worthless poop, it'll be a waste

Hey, that's funny....... almost a pun ;-)

krish 11-14-2011 09:42 AM

lol didn't see that :-P